• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report with American Pioneer Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So with beautiful 60* weather, I decided to take the ol ardesa Mountain Rifle out to the 50 yard range.

90gr Volume American Pioneer 3fg compressed heavily.
Eastern Maine oiled .020 patched with home cast .530 round balls.

No swabbing between shots.

First shot on a clean bore hit high right. Never count that clean bore shot as American Pioneer Powder wants a fouled bore.

Every shot loaded nice and firm. Never felt the patch catch up on crud.

I did polish the bore last weekend and it made a huge difference.

A few recovered patches look perfect. No burn through, no holes, just absolutely perfect.

I threw one shot #5, which hit directly center in the bullseye. I Blame the sun glare on the sight. #6 however, went right back into the cluster.

Yes, I know the can says Jim Shockeys gold, but it's the same darn thing, processed by American Pioneer Powder.

American Pioneer Powder MUST be compacted heavily for best accuracy. If it loads loose, it better be a heavy projectile. A very temperamental Powder!

Overall, I am super happy.

I miss the smell of that Powder! Open the can, take a whiff and it smells like sweet brown sugar.

I plan on fire lapping the bore later on when the weather permits.

In total, 7 shots taken.

Is this powder still available? I haven't seen any for a very long time and was under the impression it was no longer made.

Why do they call it Black Powder? It says it contains no sulfur on the can so it's not real Black Powder at all. Sounds like false advertising to me.
Not at all. Triple 7 doesn't contain sulfur. This is a sugar based powder. Smells like wonder brown sugar. Black powder substitute.

Back