• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oil containers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
A recent thread showed the contents of numerous bags. One thing that seemed to be conspicuously missing in some them was a small container of gun oil. How do you or do you even carry a small container of oil? Is it a plastic bottle, a metal one? None at all? Is it something you even carry in a shooting bag or do you just wait till you get home, maybe?

A small plastic bottle of unopened general purpose oil. It has yet to be opened and it really don't take up much room. One just never knows when that need may arise

Attachments

• 17068499150366817060730383303527.jpg
    17068499150366817060730383303527.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 0
So the oil just stays at home and there's no risk of a leak in your bag.
The oil stays wherever the box is, if I'm at the range, rondy or hunting the box is there at the range or in camp, I don't carry much in my bags that isnt needed for directly shooting the gun or reloading after a shot, no need to carry the kitchen sink around, if I need a repair I just head back to camp

I’ve got a tin oil can from Hot Dipped Tin, excellent product, but I don’t trust it in my bag. I carry old cap box tins full of mink oil, party lube and metal protector.
I have a haversack sized bag that is full of range box stuff. Cleaning kit, some tools for emergency type jobs extra pieces it it stays in camp and not on a hunt or it’s in the car if I’m at the range

I'm partial to Remoil. They make a very small plastic bottle which fits easily in range box/bag, tool box, and fishing tackle box. While I have had use for it several times with unmentionables, never needed it while actually shooting/hunting with old timey ones.
I also have a small bottle of Remoil but don't carry that one.I suppose I could and not even notice the difference. It is bigger than my "little" oil bottle but not by much.

The gun has all the oil it needs before the hunt/shoot. After, it gets the level of care befitting a newborn.
As an aside: Someone suggested white lithium grease on the lock's internals. Has anyone tried this?
I usually only grease sliding, as opposed to rotating, parts. But I am contemplating using a ML on waterfowl in a salt water environment.

The gun has all the oil it needs before the hunt/shoot. After, it gets the level of care befitting a newborn.
As an aside: Someone suggested white lithium grease on the lock's internals. Has anyone tried this?
I usually only grease sliding, as opposed to rotating, parts. But I am contemplating using a ML on waterfowl in a salt water environment.
I bought an Euroarms 1803 almost a year ago that the previous owner used white lithium grease on the internals and I was not impressed, it appeared to me that after working the lock a few times the grease all shifted to areas where it was not doing anything. It also took me awhile to get it worked out of the lock and replaced with some good gun oil.

Getting back on the OP's subject, I do not carry any gun oil in my shooting pouch but have a reproduction oil bottle in my range box that Dixie gun works sold many years ago.......just went and looked and they still sell them, different than mine but same concept.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...roduct_name/MA0206+Oil+Bottle+-+For+Cased+Set

I picked one of these up off of ebay for something like $7 a while back. It's WWII era so not quite period correct, but is certainly closer to that and much more aesthetic than a plastic bottle. Hasn't leaked either.

In all honesty I haven't actually had reason to use it as I typically hunt my 60 acre farm and am never more than a 15 minute walk from the house. But when I start heading out into the rockies on months-long trapping expeditions (cough, cough), I'll be ready!

PS -- if it were to ever leak -- it's loaded with neat's foot oil -- not a terrible thing to have on my leather shooting bag.

1706879326121.png

My main concern is the possible leaking of a few drops of oil.But that mention of Neatsfoot Oil is giving me an idea.It hasn't happened yet but but I'm using an unopened small bottle of oil (petroleum) that came with some clippers that I bought a year or two ago. It is also sealed, but like I stated, it's petroleum and has the potential to make a mess.

I have a brass "oiler" in each bag. it is the long pencil shaped item next to the pan primer. It has an o ring etc and a dip stick. I t hold more than enough oil for any thing necessary in the field etc. It does not leak and I have had them for years. Might be ted cash but I can't honestly remember.

Attachments

• Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • BP Oiler 2.JPG
    BP Oiler 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • BP Oiler 3.JPG
    BP Oiler 3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BP Oiler.JPG
    BP Oiler.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, that is all I use on mating parts and BC Barricade on surfaces.

I have a small tube of graphite grease but am reluctant to carry it. That would be a mess should it leak, it's black as a lump of coal.But have never really needed it yet. Maybe I could put the tube in a Medicine Bottle?

Latest posts

Back