• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio Style Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelSnavely

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anyone who makes the flintlock Ohio style rifles? I saw a pic of one on TOW a while back and virtually fell in love...lol It really reminded me of a Gustuvus Erichson half stock I saw on the net. I just love the long barrel/half stock flinter look.

Thanks.

Look at the hawkin squirrel rifle from Don Stith. The half-stock version looks a lot like what you are talking about. Don't know if it comes in a flint version, but you could ask.

Hello

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but think it through whether you want a half or full stock rifle. In the very beginning I thought I like half stocks, and got a few of them. Not too long after I saw those gorgeus rifles and smoothbores of Roundball, Stumpkiller, Swampy, Brown Bear, Green Mountain Boy, Mike Brines and many others I got such a fullstock fever you would not believe me. But whatever floats you boat my friend. Just don't make my mistake and spend the money on something you are not going to be completely satisfy with. Unless of course your funds allow you to change rifles like socks ;)

Good luck at whatever you decide.
Mike from CT :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well Amikee, you're too late...lol
I got bit by the "longrifle" bug when I was 4 when Daniel Boone came on TV. I have 3 customs now and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm just looking for an Ohio, because of the long nose and short stock. I either want it in .40 or .58 cal. My .36 longrifle was made for my grandson, so I'll need a rabbit rifle (in about 12 years...lol), and my .45 deer rifle will go to him too I'm sure once he starts hunting deer. Then I'll need another new one to hunt with him.
I just love the look of the Ohio. I already have the parts figured out that I want it made with...lol

trucker said:
knowing Del he probably has many full stocks as well as half he only said he liked that stye he is sort of a collector.

Ok, now ya got me wonderin' who "you" are...lol
Yep, I'm in love with the flintlock rifle in all it's forms...lol
Can't get enough!!! :thumbsup:

Hey Del that trucker guy makes knifes and excellent pouches (or he did). Also has a weiner dog. Enough clues?????? :grin:

bogie said:
Hey Del that trucker guy makes knifes and excellent pouches (or he did). Also has a weiner dog. Enough clues?????? :grin:

Man I've been off the web sites and out of touch for over a year now and a lot's went on. I have no clue who most are unless I specifically remember the handle or email...lol :idunno:

Besides, how many guys on here make nice bags and knives?.... :haha:

Del,
You aren't going to find "many" Ohio made flintlocks. There are a great many half stock Ohio percussions, new and old. A friend of mine has a really nice Jerry Kirkland Vincent half stock he has been toying with letting go of. Can't remember the caliber, 40 or 45. Not to say you couldn't have one made in flint.
Mark

Yeah, I couldn't find one in flint at all till I happened upon the Gustuvus Erickson Texas Sporting Rifle pic on the web. It was supposedly made around the 1830's. I've been contacted now by a famous gun maker about having one made. I'll keep ya posted as to what the outcome is... :v

Back