• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio Muzzleloading Season this Sat. ..Anyone hunting deer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...looks like some great hunting weather for the Ohio Muzzleloading Season..yaaa !About time !

Seen 19 deer ..I had good shots on 4 bucks ..but no buck tag. Dang doe's stayed away to far for shots !!! Back out in a few

Took a shed-antlered buck yesterday at the end of the day. I'll get a few more details a little later.

At 4:50 pm yesterday evening I shot a nice doe, I'll be frying up one of the inside loins, along with some eggs, for breakfast this morning. I hit her higher in the left lung, and was suprised the .54 Horandy HP bullet didn't pass right through, she went maybe 10 feet and then fell into the creek and was gone. Getting her up out of the creek and back to the barn I realized how out of shape I am.

I be out again today trying for another one, good luck to everyone hunting today, Monday and Tuesday.

Went out for a morning hunt on some private land, Saturday no luck. Had a great time thou,where we hunt has a small woods walk set up year round, so we shot that on the way out and had a blast. The kids loved it.

So at about 9:30 Saturday morning I missed a "chip shot" at a medium-sized doe. I think I drew down just a little too fine a bead on the shoulder and shot under her at about 55 yards. I was disappointed in myself to say the least because I had been shooting groups like this at 65.

group.jpg

Near the end of the day small doe came skipping by me at about 75 yards. Tiny little thing, but about 5 minutes behind her came a large deer on the same path. Readied the gun and it stepped into a wide opening at 75. Pulled the trigger and realized I was still on the set trigger. ARGH!!! The deer took sever steps forward, and stopped long enough for me to see the neck between 2 trees. Focus, Bob, focus! Touched it off and long story short, took him right where I was looking. He went a ways but left a blood trail I could have jogged through the woods following.

First with my Lyman 54 GPR. It wasn't pretty but things worked out. TO make things even better a couple of young Perry County boys spotted me dragging all by myself and insisted on taking it the rest of the way to the road. I hope I see them at Millstone barbecue sometime. I'll buy them a beer.

Looks like a 1 1/2 year old buck that had just shed it's antlers. Still blood on the pedicles.

IMAG0322.jpg

Congrats, I have been thinking about heading to Ohio power land and do some hunting next year, starting with Squirrel season with the smoothie.

Me and a hunting buddy went to Ross county to a private 200 acre farm beside Mead paper company owned land. Anyhow.. Hunting beside Mead was a pain, they must let about anyone hunt there..fourwheelers running up and down the mountain with orange coated hunters on them.. back and forth about all day long.On the first day I saw two large does about 100 yrds from me walking through a thick brushy area..no shot. I moved to a different spot on the farm (Due the the quads) the second day.. nothing, not even a squirrel was spotted. On the third (today) morning my buddy went down into a ravine about 400 yrds from me and I sat in a stand of mine..not far from Mead. This morning no fourwheelers were present and I was able to seal the deal with this nice little doe, the ONLY deer I had a shot at all weekend.
The shot was about 45 yards, with 80 grains of fff goex, 490 round ball .016 patch and a T/C Hawkens... The shot was a little high, and at a slight angle going downward. The round ball went in broke a rib, took out the right and left lung, clipped the spine and on the way out broke yet another rib. She dropped like a sack of taters!! All in all was a good trip.
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/fourwheelhorseman1/mms_picture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
..Bucks ..Bucks ...Bucks that is all I have shots at..4 more today ..One big one too. See plenty of does but..out of my .62 (20 gauge) smoothbore range. I got my 8 point Buck this year with a homemade Osage selfbow and flint tipped natural shaft arrow I made.

Back out tomorrow for last day of season. Maybe I can fill doe tag !

Congrats Bob...I went out saturday and sunday, saturday 2 does came up from behind me no shot, and I passed on a fawn and saw a giant droptine buck that i had trail cam pictures of at last light but already used my buck tag :cursing:.Sunday didnt see squat but a buddy of mine shot an 8 point and we tracked it for about a half mile onto Wayne National forest land and the blood trail led to a group of hunters and assumed they got him

Ended up only getting shots at bucks..DANG ! Maybe next year. Still got a few weeks to get doe with my Osage Selfbow and flint tipped arrows!

I thought I had used up all the misses that came in the old 54, she still had one left. My excuses are as follows. The sun was in my eyes, I was off balance, she ran just as I squeezed off, dang thing hang fired, I would have got her if I had a rest, those downhill shots are deceptive and the main reason for my miss I think I jerked the trigger.

Back