• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio Muzzleloading Season this Sat. ..Anyone hunting deer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone hunting this weekends Muzzleloading Season in Ohio for deer. I'll have my new 20 gauge BP double barrel shotgun out ..:) Got a doe tag left !

Yep, I got a doe tag left myself. 4 days of campin, huntin n sittin round the far.

I'll be out in the rain! It always seem to be raining in Ohio Deer season! :idunno: :idunno:

I'm driving up on Friday for a few days. You guys be good and push them my way. I'm trying to break a three year deerless drought.

Iam gonna go out and try to get a doe with the kentucky!! In what county are you guys goin huntin? I hope all you fellow BP hunters have good luck! :bow:

If you don't mind my asking, three years in Ohio with "NO" deer. Where are you hunting? You aren't one of those "if it ain't 160 or above I ain't shootin" guys are you?

Yep..I'll be in Ross county, 200 acres of private land near Mead land ..I've tagged out around my areas zone's A and B, Hoping to get a nice fat doe.. I CAN"T WAIT!!... HEY..also..I hope ya have a slug or two in your BP 20 gauge!

Sad huh? I hunt all public land 4 or 5 days in Nov with a long bow and a few days late ML with my Lyman. I am not a trophy hunter so that's not the issue. (I will frankly shoot any rack buck and a nice doe during ML) I have taken 50 plus deer with bow, shotgun andML so that's not the issue. I don't see a lot of deer up there. WNF is fun to hunt but frankly it takes a few years to figure out some of those big woods. By the way, I hunt Perry county. Suggestions welcome.

For public land in Ohio check out AEP Wildlife areas free camping and you can print your use permit from the website. I actually went to check out a place that I have never hunted and set a stand and was on my way home two hours later with my buck tag filled. I normally don't hunt public land in any of the gun seasons. Also check out the Egypt Valley Wildlife Area.

...also theres alot of small public hunting land that was donated to State. Check with ODNR and find them... Theres a few in my area ..and I almost never see anyone on them. I have about 1,500 ac. of private land around farm to hunt on so I don't hunt much Public land.

Already filled my buck tag, but I got one doe tag to fill. Not sure if ill Get out though. Huntin in Perry county also near WNF. Best of luck to you adirondack46r and the rest

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Hopefully the dry spell ends this weekend and I'll be posting a hero shot with my GPR. I love the late season hunts. Our ML season here in TN, runs two weeks immediately prior to rifle. The late ML in NY (the other state I hunt) runs immediately after shotgun. Ohio's schedule is the best IMHO. Gives things some time to cool off after gun season.

Steve, I will be checking out the area you suggested on Saturday.

46r

MeatStick said:
Ahhh, only 30% chance. Bing a cows knee.

When it's too wet anything above 20% means it will rain...When it's too dry anything less then 80% means it won't rain. :wink:

I finished up during the gun season with my 40cal Tenn flinter but my son still has a tag and will be out with his flint 50cal near Ft St Clair in the western part of the state.

46r; sounds like your just as well off in Perry Co as anywhere. Kenton has a good herd in that Tar Hollow SP area but i've had very good luck in Wildcat Hollow near your Perry Co line.

PS: Kenton, keep yer eyes peeled for hogs. I've run into them on the Mead land before!

One Shot, One Kill. Buzzard

I am taking Monday and Tuesday off work (assuming I don't tag out Saturday or Sunday); the weather forecast for here (S.W. Ohio, I am in Warren County) is calling for pretty warm temps for this time of year and I hope they are still moving and not laying up and sleeping all day and feeding/moving only at night.

I passed on a smaller spike buck and some smaller does during the gun season, I am hoping for a couple of big fat does to fill the freezer but I will take what I can get now.

OGCA has a show this weekend that I hate to miss but I'd rather hunt.

Ya know for the past 10 yrs or so, I've went to the same private land..and not one time have I seen hogs..I've heard from the locals they're around. Even went hunting for them one year..but not once ran into em..now that I said this aloud..I'll probably get charged by one! :shake:

Back