• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nothing!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just to bee clear. I don't always have success afield. Today I walked miles for no pheasants. When I did get a shot big ted misfired 🙄.
That said though, did I get some much needed exercise, yes I did. Did I see beautiful nature, yes I did. In fact Jess bumped a roe doe up and the deer stopped under 30yards away watching Jess. I hand signalled Jess to sit and I enjoyed watching the doe. It would of been a since of a shot if I desired to and in season.
I only have a poor video sorry.

So, you don't always have to bag something in order to have a great time.

Hi, BRIT getting ready for early muzzleloader season here been watchng a few really nice buck deer, have been seeing them for the last few weeks coming in right around 3-4 in the evening, They are all really nice deer but the one has a drop tine on the left antler and looks to be about 4 years old he will be the main quest. Only 5 days to go and I will be waiting for that fella. Keep yer powder dry.

Days when you don't take any game make the days when you do that much better. On another forum when I shared some grouse hunting pics a member said something like "I wish grouse hunting was that easy here." He doesn't realize how many miles I cover in rugged country for every bird I take. I also have plenty of days where I don't take a thing.

If the season were open, are you allowed to shoot roe deer in your area?

I used to plan on going to Europe and hunt roe and chamois. But at my age the plane trip would probably put me in intensive care.
Yes and no.
These roe have only been here a couple of years. The UK is covered in deer, just except my area 🤦.
Cities, railroads and major freeways several miles away have created a deer free island here.
Lockdown during covid changed that and they are slowly moving in.
I am waiting for them to get established before I indulge.
Then there is the law. It is extremely difficult to legally use a muzzleloader.
I have to use a modern breech loader.
Coincidentally I just sold a Winchester 94 and picking up a new old stock Winchester 94 legacy model in 30wcf tomorrow. Never been fired!

I liked your video. The part where Jess came in. I never get tired of seeing your partner. Muzzleloader came in yesterday in Pennsylvania. Saw 3 deer at daybreak, but couldn’t tell what they were. I did have a visitor I haven’t seen in a long time. A walking stick.

Attachments

• 177D3C2B-E8CA-49F1-BA1D-6D7836B2514A.jpeg
    177D3C2B-E8CA-49F1-BA1D-6D7836B2514A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I liked your video. The part where Jess came in. I never get tired of seeing your partner. Muzzleloader came in yesterday in Pennsylvania. Saw 3 deer at daybreak, but couldn’t tell what they were. I did have a visitor I haven’t seen in a long time. A walking stick.
Amazing.

Yes and no.
These roe have only been here a couple of years. The UK is covered in deer, just except my area 🤦.
Cities, railroads and major freeways several miles away have created a deer free island here.
Lockdown during covid changed that and they are slowly moving in.
I am waiting for them to get established before I indulge.
Then there is the law. It is extremely difficult to legally use a muzzleloader.
I have to use a modern breech loader.
Coincidentally I just sold a Winchester 94 and picking up a new old stock Winchester 94 legacy model in 30wcf tomorrow. Never been fired!
Our whitetail deer have proven extremely adaptable. Enough so to have developed real nuisance value in suburban communities and even within the Philadelphia parks. Adult deer have no animal predator here.

A problem with roads, railroads and freeways is they destroy continuity of cover. That, along with farming and some development means that, even though this is rural, I have a long drive to find continuous cover. The isolated patches around here work well for opportunistic game like deer. Wild turkeys seem to like it too. Used to work well for pheasant but that population mysteriously crashed decades back and never rebounded.

But for grouse, elk or bear it's at least a couple of hours driving.

Back