• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No particular "school" builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point in time all of our impressions break down, even at the most absurd levels. We live in the here and now and can't get away from it. One has a hand forged barrel? Was that iron ore dug by hand, wrot out with hammer and forge? Was the smith wearing hand sewn linen and wool? Where did he get the wool. Eighteenth century sheep don't exist anymore. Did he eat pork in his meal, those pigs aren't around any more.
You can get parts that look like modern parts, and plans for a gun of that type. So you can make a reasonabl copy for the same price as a generic gun. However one might want to make some changes for our wold today that was not done back then. Many southern guns had very thick barrels to a small caliber however we migh choose to keep the barrel size but have a larger caliber for our needs today. IMHO this does not impact the impression.

Hi Rich,
Most serious target shooters I know are not at all concerned with the historical particulars or style of their guns. In fact, most I know don't even know any of those details. An example of your comment about guns not fitting into schools, the rifle below was based on RCA #52. Shumway lumps it in with other Lancaster guns but I (and others like Bob Lienemann) believe it was made somewhere around Bethlehem, PA. Regardless, the original was almost certainly of Rev War vintage or possibly earlier and it is an appropriate example of a gun that could have been carried in that war.

dave

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%20summer%202015%201_zps7muvazrr.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%20summer%202015%202_zpszl4ffqru.jpg

Awhile back was shooting one of my Bucks County LRs at the range and a few guys came over to look at the LR.....this club is mainly CF. As they were complimenting me on the build, another guy came over and after looking it over, made the remark..."fancy doesn't mean a thing to me....I could shoot a target rifle w/ a stock made from a 2X4 and win w/ it". Later on found out that he indeed was a state champion MLer shooter and the stock of the rifle he used, did look like it was made from a 2X4......Fred

Being able to shoot well with a 2x4 doesn't necessarily equate with taste. I like a piece that looks good and also shoots good. What a joy it would be to shoot a rifle like the one you have shown. Much more fun than a tack driving 2x4. A gun that shoots well is not exclusive on one that also looks nice.

Hi Rich and Fred,
Let me tell you a little story if I may. A good friend here in Vermont is a national class flintlock shooter. He makes his own guns and does a pretty good job on them but they are not very attractive. His locks usually are in terrible condition and he keeps using his flints until they are almost rounded stones. As a result, he has frequent misfires, which he claims are an aid because they show him if his follow through is good. He had a hang fire in a recent match but just held the gun in position until it fired and scored a 10. He doesn't have a lot of money but he always comes by and admires whatever I am working on in the shop. One day I told him to bring me a barrel and a piece of wood that he liked and I would build him a pretty gun that fits him and should be a good shooter. I let him look through David Hansen's wonderful book on American longrifles and said pick any one you would like and I'll build it for you. He picked a John Noll but wanted a wooden patch box instead of the brass one on the original and a few other changes. I had an old Durs Egg lock and parts that I wasn't using so I donated them and my time to the project and built him this John Noll inspired rifle. He is devout so I put in the cross without telling him and when he saw it he teared up. Sometimes life sends you some really good days. He shot the rifle in matches but decided the rear sight was too low so he built it up with JB weld and cut in a notch. He won a match with it that way. When I saw it, I said "Ralph! I'll put a new blade on that rear site, JB weld and that gun just don't mix." I love the man.

dave

Ralphs%20Noll%201_zps0ezagvaz.jpg

Ralphs%20Noll%202_zpsufngwdmb.jpg

Ralphs%20Noll%204_zpsg0qoxcsi.jpg

Dave Person said:
Hi Rich,
An example of your comment about guns not fitting into schools, the rifle below was based on RCA #52. Shumway lumps it in with other Lancaster guns but I (and others like Bob Lienemann) believe it was made somewhere around Bethlehem, PA. Regardless, the original was almost certainly of Rev War vintage or possibly earlier and it is an appropriate example of a gun that could have been carried in that war.

dave

Great original and nicely done indeed. Agree #52 is as early looking as the Schreit rifle dated 1762.

So far as JB weld is concerned I agree but others will say, if they'd a had it, they'd a used it! Oh to be a good match shooter. Some build and some shoot, but those who can do both are to be admired!

Regarding the friend you built the Noll for....outside of the cross do you think he appreciates your beautiful LR?. Doesn't sound like it when your gun was "violated" w/ JB weld? Or is this too harsh an assessment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,
He really loves the gun and appreciates it. He just needed a quick fix before a match. He is a "do what I have to to get the job done" kind of guy.

dave

I'm a bit late joining this party and skimmed over most of the replies. If what I have to offer is a repeat of someone else's thoughts I apologize.

Their are what are known as barn guns or schimmels (sp?) That, while not homemade or frankensteined to use a modern term, are very well made guns by the gun makers of the time-but lack alot of the bling and artistic flair one sees so often ie carvings,inlays, brass buttplates and fancy patchboxes etc.

These were were work-a-day tools that were not given much more thought than a rake or a hammer. They are beautiful guns in their simplicity and functionality. There are pictures out there on Google if you are so inclined. Actually they were very common out in the countryside among the poor farmers around Berks County.

Back