• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie question: Trigger supposed to be that loose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question but I have simply no way to compare: on my new Pedersoli An XIII flintlock pistol the trigger is very loose. Meaning it just is flopping back an forth when the gun is not cocked. It releases just fine.
Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Sorry for the newbie question but I have simply no way to compare: on my new Pedersoli An XIII flintlock pistol the trigger is very loose. Meaning it just is flopping back an forth when the gun is not cocked. It releases just fine.
How is the slop when in full cock?
The geometry of the tumbler notches can sometimes not be in time with the arc. The main item to me is that when it is cocked that the sear toe is fully engaged in the full cock notch. The trigger might want to be a tad loose at full cock (forwards/backwards slop, not talking sideways slop) to make fully sure the sear bar does not get depressed, which can prevent full sear engagement in the full cock notch.
Sideways trigger play is another isssue. If there is excessive slop at full cock, you need to have an experieced gunsmith help you.
Larry

How is the slop when in full cock?
The geometry of the tumbler notches can sometimes not be in time with the arc. The main item to me is that when it is cocked that the sear toe is fully engaged in the full cock notch. The trigger might want to be a tad loose at full cock (forwards/backwards slop, not talking sideways slop) to make fully sure the sear bar does not get depressed, which can prevent full sear engagement in the full cock notch.
Sideways trigger play is another isssue. If there is excessive slop at full cock, you need to have an experieced gunsmith help you.
Larry

Thank you for the answer. There is no or very little sideways play and when cocked very little play at all.

That sounds like a Traditions Kentucky as out of the box. The floppy trigger irritated me, so I made and installed a trigger spring. Others have done likewise. No need to put up with it just because some say it's "supposed to be that way." Change it to be the way you want it to be. Here's how I did it, but there are various methods, depending on the mechanism of your trigger and the space available in the cavity.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/traditions-kentucky-pistol-trigger-spring.164797/

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Unfortunatley my suspicion that it might be too loose appear to have been right: now it don't release anymore at all.

But as this is a new gun the dealer will take care of it and put it right.

Back