• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie from..."gulp"...Seattle area... :/

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello gents,

My name is Dow...I am 40, work for the railroad, and live about 30 miles southeast of Seattle, although I am NOT originally from this state. I was born and raised in Texas, but got out of the military up here and got a good job many moons ago...I have a home, a family...and now I'm stuck.

Either way....I'm just saying hello and hope to learn little bit about the couple blackpowder firearms I have. I only have 2....and my first one is a Pedersoli double barrel .72 caliber rifle that I bought 20+ years ago when I was in the Navy for $500...first gun I ever bought. The other is an older shotgun that I am unfamiliar with, but I will post some photos in the identification section shortly.

I'm also a volunteer at a railroad/coal mining museum, and I explore old towns and coal mines in my off time.

Glad to be here and thanks for having me,

Dow
Welcome from the big woods
Hello gents,

My name is Dow...I am 40, work for the railroad, and live about 30 miles southeast of Seattle, although I am NOT originally from this state. I was born and raised in Texas, but got out of the military up here and got a good job many moons ago...I have a home, a family...and now I'm stuck.

Either way....I'm just saying hello and hope to learn little bit about the couple blackpowder firearms I have. I only have 2....and my first one is a Pedersoli double barrel .72 caliber rifle that I bought 20+ years ago when I was in the Navy for $500...first gun I ever bought. The other is an older shotgun that I am unfamiliar with, but I will post some photos in the identification section shortly.

I'm also a volunteer at a railroad/coal mining museum, and I explore old towns and coal mines in my off time.

Dow
Welcome from the big woods, lots of helpful folk here..

Welcome, friend. Forty years of really awful governors have ruined our state government, but it's still a great place to live. I have lived here most of my life and watched it go from beautiful to a haven for very privileged Tesla drivers. I avoid Seattle.
If you haven't already discovered it, there's a great little store on River Road in Puyallup called Muzzleloader Supply. It's one of the few BP mom-n-pop stores left in the country.
You can still buy ML here without all the paperwork an unmentionable requires, but there is a new proposed law that would require we report each year how much propellent we have on the shelf, and it has to be stored "correctly." They will be able to search your premises any time without a warrant to make sure you are abiding by the law. I seem to remember a little event at Lexington on April 19th 1775 over something very similar.

Hello gents,

Dow
Hey, cool! You'll like this forum, great resource! I took that Seattle Underground City tour many years ago. My dad was a 42-year PRR railroader. (When it merged w/ NYC, you knew it was going down the tubes!)

Hello gents,

Dow
Hey there! Welcome! I too am Southeast of Seattle (Liberal Wasteland). Feel free to PM me and perhaps we can go shooting!

Welcome, friend. Forty years of really awful governors have ruined our state government, but it's still a great place to live. I have lived here most of my life and watched it go from beautiful to a haven for very privileged Tesla drivers. I avoid Seattle.
If you haven't already discovered it, there's a great little store on River Road in Puyallup called Muzzleloader Supply. It's one of the few BP mom-n-pop stores left in the country.
You can still buy ML here without all the paperwork an unmentionable requires, but there is a new proposed law that would require we report each year how much propellent we have on the shelf, and it has to be stored "correctly." They will be able to search your premises any time without a warrant to make sure you are abiding by the law. I seem to remember a little event at Lexington on April 19th 1775 over something very similar.
Wow. I doubt that proposal is enforceable; retail stores are one thing, but individual 'citizens' shouldn't be targeted. I always roll my eyes at politicians that have round-the-clock security (paid for by taxpayers) passing laws that interfere with common citizens' ability to protect themselves.

Washington is a pretty place but………!
Now me, I’m from Northern California and spent the better part of 50 years getting out of that (Insert several really nasty and profane words)!!! Now I live in Eastern Tennessee and I thank God for it. So welcome!👍🤣👍

Hello gents,

Dow
Welcome from East Texas. Sorry that you are stuck...

Oh, well, you could always re-locate to, say, PORTLAND!o_O
Ha…ok…good one.

If I live long enough to retire…I’m out of here…off the west coast! Secrets out though…Texas is already too popular and cool…too many non-Texans there…so I won’t be returning to my roots. We used to have 100 acres south of Grand Prairie where I grew up…cotton fields, beans, corn, cattle, horses, the house my grandmother was born in the 1920’s on property…Now it’s all gone…replaced with apartments, low-income neighborhoods, strip malls, schools, crime, traffic, foreigners everywhere, highways, turnpikes…no thanks.

I don’t care where I have to go…but I will require at least 40 acres around my home. I don’t want to see, hear, or know that I have neighbors at all. If I have to go to North Dakota in 20 years to have it…so be it. Sooo sick of inconsiderate people and self-centered neighbors.

Welcome from a SoCal guy who had lunch in Auburn WA today.
The wife and I like this town and wanna retire near our kids/ grandkid in west Seattle. But you couldn’t pay me to live close to that downtown hellscape. As bad as it is their new slogan is “at least we’re not Portland!”
Auburn seems far enough away from the riff-raff and vagrants- any insider tips on where to look in the PNW?
Had I known about that museum this morning we would have dropped by!

Last edited:
The wife and I like this town and wanna retire near our kids/ grandkid in west Seattle. But you couldn’t pay me to live close to that downtown hellscape. As bad as it is their new slogan is “at least we’re not Portland!”
Auburn seems far enough away from the riff-raff and vagrants- any insider tips on where to look in the PNW?
Thanks for the welcome!

Auburn is VERY “iffy”. Some parts are ok, most parts these days are not. The crime rate has really gone up there, and there is a serious drug problem, but housing is affordable.

I’m in Maple Valley…which is still respectable enough, and far enough out.

Maple Valley, Covington, Ravensdale, Hobart, Black Diamond, Bonney Lake, Buckley, Enumclaw, Carbonado, South Prairie…those are all very good places to live down south near me.

I’d stay away from anywhere in Auburn, Pacific, Algona, Kent, Renton, Federal Way, Burien, Des Moines, SeaTac…..

Unfortunately…it’s very difficult for normal people to buy a house in a nice area up here anymore. My children will never be able to, one reason I will leave after retirement. The market is through the roof…and very unrealistic.

And West Seattle is pretty close to the “hellscape”…it’s part of it, although there are million dollar homes there.

Personally I would look north past Everett towards Mt Vernon, Arlington, Granite Falls, Sedro Wooley... The only reason I ever go into Seattle is that's where my work is for a couple more years... Spent the last 25 years going down near the UW, other than that I avoid it like the plague... Also there's some beautiful country up that way... Oh, and a plus one for Muzzleloader Supply...

Personally I would look north past Everett towards Mt Vernon, Arlington, Granite Falls, Sedro Wooley... The only reason I ever go into Seattle is that's where my work is for a couple more years... Spent the last 25 years going down near the UW, other than that I avoid it like the plague... Also there's some beautiful country up that way... Oh, and a plus one for Muzzleloader Supply...
Yep…those are all good areas too…I just don’t live up there…so can’t really comment…I’m down south. Anywhere north, or south of Seattle is ok. East is good….Preston, Fall City, North Bend, Bellevue….

Back