• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new Uberti 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My first cap & ball revolver, but surely not my last.

S5000743.jpg

S5000745.jpg

What a blast these guns are to shoot. I don't (won't, as long as I live in NJ!) own a single modern firearm, but I wanted something to have some fun while my wife is burning through .22s with her Browning Buckmark.

Not too bad for the first time out. Target was shot at 15 yards...18 shots. Loaded with 22 grains FFFg, lubed wool wad and .454 ball. Remington #11 caps are a bit loose...think I'll take a ride out to Dixon's this afternoon and pick up a tin of #10s to try. From what I've been reading, I think I can tighten the groups up a little more with a heavier load to get the ball closer to the mouth of the cylinders.

07100914522.jpg

fyrfyter43 said:
I can tighten the groups up a little more with a heavier load to get the ball closer to the mouth of the cylinders.

Instead of going with a heavier load, use cornmeal or Cream of Wheat between powder and ball.

I have one of these and they shoot great. I used Remington #10 caps with the factory nipples,but they arn't very consistent.Get some Treso nipples and your cap problemns will end, these are #10 Rem too. They will also tighten up your groups quite a bit as the flash holes are smaller and all the same size. I also made a taller front sight to lower point of impact. I shoot 25 grains. .454 ball no wad.

I am planning on ordering the Treso nipples maybe next week. That was one of the first things I planned on, as it seems just about everybody recommends them.

I bought the gun last weekend at Dixon's.

Try pinching the #11 caps before you place them on the nipple. Typically solves your problem.

What did Dixons have in stock (C&B pistols)?

Mike

MikeC said:
Try pinching the #11 caps before you place them on the nipple. Typically solves your problem.

What did Dixons have in stock (C&B pistols)?

Mike

Yep, I've been pinching the #11s. Works fine. I picked up a tin of #10s yesterday. They fit a little better, but I don't know if they'll stay on with recoil. Hopefully I'll get to the range in the next day or 2 to find out.

Dixon's had a nice selection of C&B revolvers. Somewhere around 5 used guns, including an 1860. But at only about $20 less than new, I figured I might as well buy new. They also had at least 7-8 new guns, including some 1851s (both round and square-back trigger guards) and 1858s. There was a Walker and a 3rd Model Dragoon. I think they were all Ubertis. I knew what I was looking for before I even walked in, so I didn't spend much time browsing - at least not at C&B guns. The rest of the store...well, that's another story. Even though I'm there at least twice a month, I always manage to spend an hour or more browsing the store.

One more thing to try to improve accuracy is to use a .457 ball. The larger ball has a longer bearing surface and may be more accurate in your gun. I shoot .457s in all my .44 cap and ball revolvers (a Ruger Old Army, a Euroarms 1858, and a Pietta 1858).

I use the remington number 11 caps, i just sqeeze em before i put em on the nipples, that usually helps.
I use Hornady .451 balls, no wad, just grease the chambers. it shoots pretty consistantly at 25 feet.
looking to get a mold and try some conical rounds in the near future.

Got a set of Treso nipples from Don at the Possible Shop the other day. Tried them out this morning with Remington #10 caps. Much better - no loose caps, no pinching, every cap went off the first time. :grin:

Latest posts

Back