• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have the GPR in 54 cal. and experienced the missfires that you have after changing the nipple out. What I discovered was that the lock needed to be taken off and cleaned, screws checked to make sure they are tight (don't over tighten but snug) and then lube it again. You might be surprised like I was and found that the lube they used had actually caked. Once the lock was cleaned and relubed the problem just went away.

You have a 54 cal, barrel.Your breech is not 54, cal,its smaller,maybe your not getting the breech cleaned out all the way like you think you are.

I think I figured out my problems. I got over zealous and worried about rust after cleaning. I was leaving oil residue in the breech and then it would foul up quick when I wanted to shoot. Took it out the other day after I swabed it out with alcohol and had zero problems. Shot 25 rounds through with no problems.

Rob

Gerard Dueck said:
CCI makes a #11 magnum cap specifically for sub. powder. Try it it may solve the problem.

I use regular Goex black powder. That's my normal cap! That's one of the reasons my rifle & shotgun ALWAYS goes BANG! Woods-Walks in the rain, snow squalls, 52-Shot NRA Qualification Matches in all sorts of weather, and a Scout Day at the Range where I can shoot more than a box of balls without a failure to fire! I buy these caps a box of 1,000 at a time!

Dave

rjakin said:
I think I figured out my problems. I got over zealous and worried about rust after cleaning. I was leaving oil residue in the breech and then it would foul up quick when I wanted to shoot. Took it out the other day after I swabed it out with alcohol and had zero problems. Shot 25 rounds through with no problems.

Rob

In addition to the alcohol cure, try storing the rifle muzzle-down on a piece of paper-toweling. No oil build-up in the breech, and the gun takes what it needs and the rest hits the paper towel :wink: .

Dave

All the things Zonie, EBiggs and others said, plus a couple of thoughts-

When cleaning after a shooting session, be sure to remove the nipple and clean out screw (some will poo-poo this) and soak breech area in the bottom of your cleaning bucket while pumping tap warm water through the system. This breech design can accumulate fouling, and I find it worhwhile to ream the plug screw hole with a pipe cleaner, and use a 375 cal bore brush to clean the recess in the breech plug. Use a tiny bit of anti-seize lube on the threads of your nipples and the plug screw. Sold as anti-seize at the auto parts store, and choke tube lube at gun stores.

If using Pyro, Tiple 7 or the other substitutes you may want to try the CCI "magnum" cap, which generates a larger volume of hot gas. The substitutes have a higher ignition temp than true BP, and more hot gas helps get things going.

I eventually learned the right way to store my MLs, which is nose down after cleaning, drying, and oiling the bore with a patch slightly damp with Ballistol, WD40, Barricade, or similar rust preventing oil. When the muzzle is up, oil can migrate into the breech and foul things up.

Stick around here- you will learn a lot. I did.

White Fox

Back