• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a 28 ga smooth bore and cant find much info. It is a nice little caplock. It has AMR in a diamond c-28 in a circle. What is a good medium load for this. Any info on a good solid measure would be appreciated as well.

Andy

if it is a hawken style sounds like and Italian made one. use any loads listed for a 54 cal. rd ball 526 or 530. you can get acssesores from track of the wolf. since its a smoothbore you can use it with shot. wads are sold by track to. for shot evil bay sells 1 lb. bags.

found this online
2 years ago #2

gunhunter63,
Look close, AMR in a faint diamond?
(C-28) or (C-20) This is the guage.
13.9 kgs is the proof test pressure.
These late 60's early 70's reproductions were sold by Dixie gun works. Available in percussion or flintlock.
They were inexpensive but great fun.
Mine is the 28 guage flintlock. If in very good condition I would value a percusion one at $125.00, The flintlock version, $140.00.

Give Dixie a call. I'm sure they can give you the straight scoop.

While you have them on the line, ask about spare parts. Even if they're not listed on their site, odds are very good they'll still have some squirreled away. I like to pick up a few spares for older guns and have them on hand, even if I never need them.

fire-n-brimstone said:
What is a good medium load for this. Any info on a good solid measure would be appreciated as well.
Andy

Sounds like fun.

It has been a while since I have shot my 28 gage but I shot 50 gr of 2f and equal volume of shot.
I used two over shot cards over the powder and one over the shot.

That was my trap, pigeon and dove load, #8 or 9 shot size, it worked very well for me.

:photoSmile:

William Alexander

That will work, do let us know how it works, to me, they shoot better if you don’t over load them.

Most of all have fun.

William Alexander

fire-n-brimstone said:
From what i read in a paper by V.M. Starr. Medium loads are best.

I like and use lighter loads than most people do. A lot of shooters can’t get past the magnum mind set.

V. M. Starr from Eden, South Dakota was one of the reasons I moved to South Dakota.

Post what works best in it for you.

William Alexander

Tiene usted toda la razón. AMR es la marca del fabricante español, Antonio Marcos Relea, de Eibar. Esa marca pasó después a principios de los 80 a "Avancargas Anchu", también de Eibar (Guipúzcoa, España). Hace tiempo que ya no existe esa fábrica, pero a mediados de los 80 hizo armas de avancarga: escopetas de uno y de dos cañones, pistolas Kentucky y rifles. Lo mejor que fabricaron fueron los rifles Henry y Creedmore para competición, y también algunas escopetas de un sólo tiro del calibre 12.
Saludos.

You are absolutely right. AMR is the mark of Spanish manufacturer, Antonio Marcos Relea of Eibar. That mark then spent the early 80's "Avancargas Anchu" also from Eibar (Guipúzcoa, Spain). Long time no longer exists that factory, but in the mid-80 made muzzleloading shotguns with one and two barrels, duelling pistols and Hawken and Kentucky replica rifles. The best we manufactured were Henry and Creedmore match rifles, in 0,451 caliber

IMG_0444_zps2a871937.jpg

IMG_0446_zps091b7e78.jpg

IMG_0443_zpseb4f8901.jpg

Get that off your foot. I brought a 410 home from panama. They are crude but solid. They really were made for trade in south and Central America. Good enough for monkeys and the feather trade. I'd keep charges to around 50 or 60 grains with equal shot.

Yours is the twin to mine. A very light gun and fun to carry & shoot. I use 50gr Goex fffg with an equal measure of #6 shot and rag wads over powder & shot. Never had a squirrel escape up to 30 yards. I don't think it would be worth the cost to have it jug choked and I doubt Danny Caywood would do it considering the value of the gun. I got mine from a manager of a suburban improvement district when he was redecorating his office. The gun had hung there for years (never fired). He gave it to my wife when she worked there.

Back