• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Shop and Bench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here in Arizona the temps are extreme to say the least. If your not air conditioned your done building through the summer, and summer here is long. My most gracious better half has allowed that I should close in my side of the garage and run the AC to it and build another bench. Again, because it gets me out of her hair. So hear is the plan. 11 foot wide and 17 foot long. Insulated walls. The garage door is insulated. The new wall will have a 13 foot bench with a bench anvil, dual position vise, cabinets above and electrical outlets along the wall at bench top. Dedicated reloading station with dedicated cabinets. A plethora of lighting will accompany the space with the cool sound of Bose wave radio. Anyway, Im dreaming. Here is what the space looks like now with the walls laid out. Framing takes place this weekend, and so on and so on. Ill post up advances as I go. Anyone have any cool suggestions on a budget that they wished they had in their shop let me know. Want to make it as sweet as possible for as little as possible.

You need to extend that wall three feet. Fridge needs to be on the shop side. :haha:

Swamp Rat said:
You need to extend that wall three feet. Fridge needs to be on the shop side. :haha:

Naw, leave the wall where it is, just build the fridge into the wall.

:wink:

Move the wifes car into the small area and take the rest of the garage or else your shop will be too small. :grin:

SC45-70

I actually thought about the fridge, nice to be able to reach over and grab a cold one, but takes away from the room. Also thought about the wife's car. Wont work, I like being married to her :hmm: I sold it to her because she gets her craft cabinets and shelves on the outside. Of course after I finish the inside. His and her garage. My side just happens to be a shop/Gun building getaway.

Where's the shop cat? Ya can't work on a rifle without a shop cat to show you your mistakes and give final approval on a finished rifle :grin: . That is a nice place though it looks better without the 6 feet of snow you had back in December.

You are going to have a rough time trying to fit a reaming bench and rifling bench in there

I dig the shop cat but!!! 1 QH, 1 17-hand Mule, 3 labs, 6 chickens, 5 turkeys, and a road runner that naps on top of my patrol truck. Not sure the shop cat would work, he would probably take over.

Be allot simpler, time & expense saving just to A/C the garage & move her car outside now. :idunno: You will probably piss her off anyway before the week is out. Right ? :idunno: So why not make it worth your while.... :hmm:
You will eventually need all of the garage anyway, so just nip it in the bud & save all that wall building & etc. :slap:
By the time you do the mods to the garage, you could have bought the parts to build another rifle & be halfway done with it. :stir:

Besides, you need ALL that garage..... OK...... so ya got 30-40 stock blanks drying, 2-3 big cabinets for the locks & triggers & misc.
Then ya need a heated barrel safe with 40-50 barrels in it. Heck you may have to add on to the garage ! :doh:

Keith Lisle

Way to go Sean! Get rid of the fridge (waste of valuable floor space, besides, you've got one inside the house, haven't you?). Get rid of the bicycles, take up valuable room and require something called exercise to use. Fit some vertical shelving (in a corner) to get some of the junk up off the floor. We recently had our kitchen replaced ($$$$ :shocked2: ) but I saved most of the old overhead cupboards and fitted them to the walls of my shed (wherever I could find room, that is!). Very handy if you can find any. Also saved a set of 4 drawers to use somewhere (drawers are also very useful).

Power outlets - you can never have enough, I mounted a couple on the front edge of my bench as well as the wall at the back. I've been considering fitting a hanging one (above head height) in the middle of the floor space for convenience, just haven't quite got around to it yet. I'm not sure about your power requirements over there, but here our normal ccts. are 10 amp. I built a sub-board in my garage and wired a couple of heavier 15 amp ccts. in for my welder/compressor/plasma cutter. Even if you can't do it yet, try and think ahead and allow for power changes you might need.

Are you going to be casting there? Might want to give some thought to some sort of exhaust system if you are.

You've got a nice area there, should be fun turning that into your "man-cave". :thumbsup:

Should be a nice, comfortble place to while away the hours, but I'd get rid of the clock. Don't need any time restraints. :grin: ....Fred

shop kats make you take breaks...they come and get in your face and stand on the parts....if you don't have one...you will find that you work 6 hours straight...hard on the back!

i have to put up my tools tho when i'm not working...tomtom will carry them outside and stuff sometimes....but he ain't right :youcrazy:

Anyone have any cool suggestions on a budget that they wished they had in their shop let me know.

A work area/vice in front of one (or both) of those windows.

I'd go so far as to move the bench away from the window enough that you could sit with your back to the window.

Seems most of the pro builders work on a station that they can move around.

Every mistake I have ever made on guns, boats, decoys, engines....... all trace back to lighting. (least that is my excuse)

You fellas ALL forgot the 2 most important pieces in anyone's man cave!!!!!!!! Ya'll forgot the space for the flat screen tv to watch the ball games while you build and of course the recliner for those times you need deep reflection or just a nap!

Latest posts

Back