• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New purchase, Blunderbus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Poor old TB1943 got slated when he bought one.

I phoned in a reserve bid of £1100 for this yesterday and it went for £900 so I guess it's probably mine...
You may now tell me what is wrong with it. Garden ornament? Made in Turkmenistan? :surrender:

blunderbus.jpg

It's actually a powder tester, which you can also use to light your cigars, made in - you were right - turkmenistan!

I couldn't resist. Looks like you got a real beauty. I can imagine the feeling you will get when you actually hold it in your hands. Congratulations.

Defineatly a mens den wall hanger best send it down here to me for an early xmass present . :thumbsup: :)

So how much is that in American dollars? Looks like a neat gun. I don't know if I would have paid 200L over the esimated value though. :hmm:

Estimated values may have little or nothing to do with the actual value of something. I saw a variance once in the tens of thousands and that was for a KNIFE!

Phill, Somebody's rippin' you off. Todays exchange rate has 900 = $1375.72 :grin: Enjoy, J.D.

Just did a quick cal at work based on last nights rates against $US DOWN HERE :)

She looks to be in good condition!!

I wonder if it will arrive BEFORE Victoria day??!!

Imagine, you just may be the only person to light her off since the 1820's.......Lots of history there!

I hope you will take some videos and pictures of the arrival and 1st shot!

I thought a blunderbuss usually had a makers name on the lock. If it has George Rex then that would make it military, a musketoon?

I phoned the auction house and it is mine, more pictures when I get it.

Looks like a good deal to me. And appears in good condition. Yes, please take photos after you receive it. Neat blunderbuss! Rick. :thumbsup:

That is a very nice gun. They were mostly used at sea or by coach guards. The large flare at the muzzle made it easier to load aboard a rolling deck or a bouncing coach. I am sure that the barrel being made of brass would give important clues to someone more versed in these guns than I. The fact that it is in such good condition given its age, yet shows signs of use, suggests that it may have been stored and cared for in an armory when not in use. The lack of signs of corrosion suggests to me that it was less likely to have been used at sea. I don't know enough about these guns to tell you if it was used in Naval service or by coach guards but I'll bet it was one or the other and my money is on coach guard use.

These guns were very popular for home defense in an era before organized police forces. Kept handy but not used very much so light wear is common. If you do not have them already, "Blunderbusses" by D. R. Baxter (1970) and "The Blunderbuss 1500 - 1900" by James Forman (1994) have useful information.

Squire be very careful! Blunderbuss's can be addictive..... own 2 myself..... Looks like you added a nice item to your collection! :thumbsup:

The only problem with that blunderbuss is that it is on the wrong side of the pond.

I haven't seen any results, but the Western National Shoot of the NMLRA hosts a Blunderbuss competition. I doubt many people shoot the match, so there's probably lots of room for new champions.

Back