• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new kit builder on the block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new about Jim Kibler. He is among the best there is. He teaches a class on building longrifles at the Western Kentucky University.

http://www.jimkibler.net/

Check it out.

Jim H.

Last edited by a moderator:
One cannot find a "kit" that is more snap together than this one. Historic correctness, superb architecture, perfection of inlets, the list goes on.
Search for Jim's thread about this kit on American Longrifles for detailed information. He has raised the standard.

Capt. Jas. said:
One cannot find a "kit" that is more snap together than this one. Historic correctness, superb architecture, perfection of inlets, the list goes on.
Search for Jim's thread about this kit on American Longrifles for detailed information. He has raised the standard.

I like it it's great we all knew it was possible but it's creepy in a way.

I wouldn't worry to much about the coffee, you have passed on a lot of great info to folks here. I enjoy reading your posts.

Jim

CNC 'kits..........wow, needed this years back~ I been doing it the hard way~
tomtom said 10 years from now, you can order which rifle you want, with the choice of barrel, and the CNC machine will spit it out~
but what does a dirty ol tom cat know....... :youcrazy:

Mick C said:
I think Mr. Kibler has a MAJOR hit on his hands with this kit. GO JIM!!!!

I agree. But his price strikes me as a mite steep. However, if he starts offering other models I know I would be saving pennies for something I can use.

I agree. But his price strikes me as a mite steep.
Actually, it's not steep. Check a Chambers kit.
His are over $1000.00 and not nearly as complete.

Track Issac Haines start at $806.00 base price. Extras can take it over $1000.00 easily.

So the Kibler kit starts to look pretty reasonable when you compare apples to apples. Besides, it's like a snap together kit compared to the others. Very minimal chisel work required, very minimal shaping work required.

CNC machining is the next new thing.

Yes....I agree that $950 could be a deterrent for some would be buyers, even though the quality is excellent and the amount of work completed is far more than most parts sets. At $1000 w/ shipping included, this offering is indeed a good buy, but many won't realize it.

Picturing what the finished LR could look like is beyond many prospective buyers/builders. I wish Jim Kibler a lot of luck w/ this project and hope it will be a financial success.....Fred

Yes it is a little pricey but it would fit me pretty good I think. Someone not wanting to make one from scratch but wants a better quality, better looking end product. If the price doesn't fit someones budget, that's why the cheaper ones are out there.

I keep thinking I need to put my order in for one of these rifles. I just need more money to pay for everything.

Fleener

Mr. Kibler says that the stocks are a little better than standard maple.
You would have great difficulty to put all the parts together, even with a stock blank, and come out at this price.
And with little to no great amount of gouging, cussing, mumbling, and worse of all severe mistakes.
Now add that all up!
Gotta git me one of those CNC thingies.....what ever that is :doh: :idunno:
Fred
Fred

Hey guys. My web administrator (girlfriend, Katherine) said we were getting traffic from this site, so thought I would check it out. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I am offering a newly designed flintlock kit for sale. This is a mountain rifle based on the work of Whitson from Western North Carolina.

The links above will answer most of any questions, but here are a few features that differentiate it from other kits available today.

Stock is 100% CNC machined. This results in very precise inlets and surfaces. Parts fit with a minimal of effort and are in proper relationship to each other. Stock surface is very close to finish form. In fact all that will be required is finish sanding.

Barrel will be fit to the stock and the breech will be squared up. No tedious task of opening up the barrel channel required.

Tang that extends completely down the wrist is fully shaped and fit to the barrel.

All pin holes and bolt holes drilled in the stock.

Dovetails cut and barrel drilled and tapped for touch hole liner.

Screw holes in buttplate drilled and coutersunk.

All of these features result in a kit that will be very easy to assemble.

These features are combined with a stylish, historically correct design.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Thanks again,
Jim Kibler

Moderators: I hope I haven't broken any rules by responding to posts. If I have, my apologies.

Old Ford said:
***SNIP***
Gotta git me one of those CNC thingies.....what ever that is :doh: :idunno:
Fred
Fred

CNC stands for "Computer Numerically Controlled". I'm familiar with those used on milling machines to work metals such as bar-stock aluminum. Once you have it dialed in, you save that program and anytime you need to make that item you can put the blank in the machine, load the program, and hit the "go" button. It will cut out exactly the same thing (within at least .001" accuracy) every single time.

Basically you do it once and the machine can then do it thousands of times if you want it to. Want to do a different style? Put in the program for that style, add the appropriate blank, and hit the go button. Pretty amazing to watch them work.

So, if you make a good one, they'll all be jast as good as the first.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back