• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Kibler barrel accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I think Kibler is top notch. When he talks about machining the springs, he mentions not bending flat stock. When a sever bend is made on steel, it weakens the molecules in the steel and is an inherent weak spot. The molecules on the inside of the bend compresses, while the molecules on the outside stretches. This weakness can not be overcome. When a spring is machined, the molecules remain aligned. I'm not a metallurgist, but I do have some limited experience in the field. These locks should out last you, and your children.

Last edited:
@Lukedrywalker I have a Kibler 45 SMR and a 54 Colonial. I haven't done any load development with the 54, but with the 45 (Rice barrel, and it will say on the bottom if it is Rice or GM) I am getting great results at 50 yards with a .535 lee molded ball sorted, blue Walmart pillow ticking, 1:7 dried Ballistol patch, and 60 grains of Swiss 3F. I do swab between shots (pretty much the Dutch Schoultz system). I am not a great shot but with a rest the holes will touch for 5 shots at 50 yards. I am very pleased.

One weird thing, it shot high so I had to play with epoxy and add a little to the front sight. Wish the front sight was a little taller.

@Lukedrywalker I have a Kibler 45 SMR and a 54 Colonial. I haven't done any load development with the 54, but with the 45 (Rice barrel, and it will say on the bottom if it is Rice or GM) I am getting great results at 50 yards with a .535 lee molded ball sorted, blue Walmart pillow ticking, 1:7 dried Ballistol patch, and 60 grains of Swiss 3F. I do swab between shots (pretty much the Dutch Schoultz system). I am not a great shot but with a rest the holes will touch for 5 shots at 50 yards. I am very pleased.

One weird thing, it shot high so I had to play with epoxy and add a little to the front sight. Wish the front sight was a little taller.
Thanks, this is the kind of information I was looking for.

Good evening all. Pondering the purchase of a Kibler colonial. My understanding is that he is now producing his own barrels. Can anyone give me a sense of the new barrel accuracy?

I have one flint gun with a colerain barrel, and it is a great shooter. But that is my only experience with a round ball gun. So, would welcome your feedback. Thanks.
I wonder, is he actually manufacturing the barrels? That's kind of a speciality mfg. process. Or is he sourcing them from a trusted maker? Either way his quality is Great!

I wonder, is he actually manufacturing the barrels? That's kind of a speciality mfg. process. Or is he sourcing them from a trusted maker? Either way his quality is Great!
He has a great video on it. 40 cal and below he has barrels bored and reamed, shipped to him. Then he has worked out a CNC program to cut the rifling on them. 45 and above he get them fully rifled.

I got my kit in July

E9DF6C45-6950-4C17-9B23-4F5C2954F761.jpeg

Take it out & replace it with one from dixie gun works.

This is why I think Kibler is top notch. When he talks about machining the springs, he mentions not bending flat stock. When a sever bend is made on steel, it weakens the molecules in the steel and is an inherent weak spot. The molecules on the inside of the bend compresses, while the molecules on the outside stretches. This weakness can not be overcome. When a spring is machined, the molecules remain aligned. I'm not a metallurgist, but I do have some limited experience in the field. These locks should out last you, and your children.

I've made quite a few springs of all types over the last 40 years and wonder about him making the claim that the springs are CNC milled from a solid billet which is required if there is no bend back. It can be done but as far as I know none of the originals where made from a solid billet with no bending involved.
I totally agree about cast spring reliability and the stress put on bent back flat spring stock but that is the reason we draw temper and radius corners, to relieve stress and work checking. I'm also not sure I believe the whole molecular grain alignment/ mis-alignment theory from working steel, I've been hearing about for decades either. Seems to me that properly heat treated ,forged springs from certified flat spring stock, hold up very well,. Some of them have been going for a couple of centuries that are far inferior alloys to what we have now days quality wise.
I very much like the idea of a pinned sear bridle.
I wonder why he doesn't use a stirup-ed main spring which is/was a technological step forward in spring fuction efficiency , with all the other high end mods he has put into his lock.
Over all I'm really impressed with the quality he has put into this lock which appears to be one of the best out there ! Any idea of the cost for such a lock ?

Last edited:
Back