• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Guy Looking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason why you couldn't use a cheater bar.
Some of those levers have been known to break, tho'.
One thing I find about the lever, it presses into my hand. I have taken to using a glove when loading. But also while shooting.
I have the 1858 Remington New Army and the 1860 Colt, both by Pietta from Cabelas. Both with the long barrel, which I think looks more old time. More Civil War era. I think the shorter barrels to me evoke the cowboy era(?), perhaps the 1870s.
I like the way they work different, and come apart different, etc.
More things to play with that way. Here they have a good supply of all necessary things, Goex, etc.
dc

Thats why I'm looking into getting into black powder revolvers. I really like historical guns, and carry a 1911. I love single action revolvers and lever actions, but now looking into the black powder mostly out of curiosity and amazement at how they function. I've always been a mechanical/engineer type, learning how things work, and I love to tear guns apart and learn about them by looking and repairing and putting back together. And add the historical aspect into it, and it's got my attention.

The cowboy guns are by favorite, but revolvers of any type always draw my attention.

I wish we had academy sports.

I'm going to try sportsman warehouse next week and see what they have.

you might break the lever if you do

The loading lever being a PITA is one of the reasons I like the longer barrels. 'Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world', so it is said.

I have a Pietta '61 Navy, a pair of Uberti '61 Navies, and a pair of Pietta '58 Remington .36's.

As mentioned above, it is easier to find round balls for the .44's in all 3 sizes than .375 or .380" balls. That said, if you do find you like shooting these guns, a Lee mould, Lee pot, and lead ladle will solve the situation nicely. Something like 90 balls/lb of lead, iirc.

The Colt's seem to like ~22gr of 2F and a ball that fits - .375 in the Uberti's, and .380 for the Pietta.

The Remmy's would probably take 30gr FFG, but I load them with 25 and double-wad them to keep the ball from seating too deeply in the chamber.

The .36's kick less, foul less, use less powder and lead, and at least in my examples, shoot very very well.

Those of you concerned with short loading levers can buy a loading block: This is a piece of metal with a post and a lever mounted on the metal. This makes loading so much easier and also harder to miss a step such as forgeting to put in powder in a chamber. It's all right there to see.

i'd go with the .44 ... but then again, my opinion and a boarding pass will usually get you on the airplane ...

make good smoke!

Oh, my Pietta shoots ok with .375, it just shoots better w/ .380. That may be an individual gun thing, or an anomaly of the Lee moulds I'm using. I don't think I actually measured the balls, just tried from 2 different moulds.

And the Pietta Remingtons shoot .375's just fine, although they were built before Pietta went to CNC built guns.

Well, I've got things figured (I think) for what I need and an approximation for how much everything is going to run. I've got $230 set aside, and estimating about $350 all said and done with accessories and supplies. So hopefully I will be picking up a gun soon. I've got a J-Frame I'm going to try to sell off, then I will have cash in hand. Getting excited.

dubshooter said:
Well, I've got things figured (I think) for what I need and an approximation for how much everything is going to run. I've got $230 set aside, and estimating about $350 all said and done with accessories and supplies. So hopefully I will be picking up a gun soon. I've got a J-Frame I'm going to try to sell off, then I will have cash in hand. Getting excited.

Sounds about right. There's a used Euroarms Remmy with a display case and a bunch of goodies for sale right now on GB, $299 + shipping and its yours.

The wife and I were out driving, enjoying the desert today and happened to wander by a friend's house. She had just recently moved in with her parents, so we stopped by to see her (and their German Shorthairs). Speaking with her dad, come to find out he just picked up a Remington NMA a month or two ago. Due to his health, he hadn't been out to shoot it yet, but got to fondle it and check it out.

Now, I just need to get the cash together. Even though Cabelas raised the price on the .36 cal model.....

What didn't you like about it? Was it function or asthetics? One reason for asking is that I am tempted to buy one for myself. but, if there are problems, I'd like to know ahead of time. :hatsoff:

I love how easy it was to swap out cylenders in the Remington. That alone is a very big seller for me. But the Colt is easier to clean. And that is the bigger seller to me.
As I have no plans for gunfights and fast cylender swaping, I prefer the Colt.

I understand the physics that a shorter loading lever will make it more difficult to load than the longer loading lever. But does anyone have both to be able to compare the difference?

I really like the short barrel of the 5.5" .44, but if it's a pain, I may just pay a little more for the 6.5" .36 and meet in the middle.

I have both and the difference is negligible. It’s not like the longer one is ounces and the shorter on is in pounds. I mostly use my 5.5 inch barreled pistols and in actual use I don’t notice any difference. I have lightly beveled the mouth of each cylinder chamber and that makes a big difference in the effort it takes to load.

Back