• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Guy Looking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubshooter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and brand new to black powder revolvers. My curiosity with single action style revolvers has brought me wandering into the world of black powder. I tend to do a lot of research before I make a purchase so that I don't look stupid when I head to the store and don't hurt myself (or someone else)

I've been browsing Cabela's website and have settled between

The 1858 New Army Police .36 cal

New Army Police

and the 1858 New Army in .44 with the shorter barrel

New Army .44

It's going to be just for fun out in the desert. I've always been a fan or shorter barrel revolvers, just nto sure how the balance will be compared to the two of them.

If anyone has any input one way or the other or on another revolver that might be better for a new shooter, I'm open to learning from those who know it better than me. Trying to stay in this price range for now, even though those stainless guns look real nice.

Thanks for the time.

I forgot to add, it really doesn't matter which one you get. Your eye has already been drawn to 2 guns. You will get one and want the other, regardless of which you got.
This will lead to a 3rd firearm as both are pretty good, but there are other guns that might be 'better'.

Eventually you will be looking for a custom build this or that and it will be years later and you will understand just how hooked you really are.

I would go with the .36, just because I like the smaller caliber, and because most people who have the 1858 have 44s.

On the other hand, the .44 hole in the target is easier to see.

If your in no hurry, prices get better than that at Cabela's.

I do have the new army police. Fun gun.
I think they run them from time to time for around 180/190.

HC/PC people will be quick to point out an Army is .44 cal, where a Navy is .36.

Who cares, their fun.

I picked up a 1851 navy 44 caliber from cabelas because i couldnt pass up on the price. It is a blast to shoot. My son has a 36 caliber that i have also shot. Between the 2 i would say as far as shooting them they were both fun. But now i want to get the 50 caliber trapper from cabelas because i want a bigger size and i really like the looks of it. Have fun shooting whichever you go with.

I'd also suggest going around town to the pawn shops and see if they have what you want.
Often with BP guns they get purchased, shot a few times then mothballed for years. Then someone needs some cash and remembers they have an old black powder gun they don't use. Or their brother or dad has passed on and they have no clue about BP guns so they are sold.

In pawn shops there tend to be two types of black powder guns. The ones that have been severly abused and ignored and the ones that pretty much never saw much use. Not much in the middle ground it seems.

Thanks for the tips guys. Thats kind of why I was leaning towards the smaller caliber, but the other has the shorter barrel. I guess we will see. I'm trying to not rush into the gun purchase, and take my time. But once I see something, it's tough....

I'll check some pawn shops, but it seems from my other journeys that the pawn shops around here try to charge higher prices for pawned guns than you would pay for one brand new. They're crazy.

Might wait for Cabelas to lower their "sale" prices and see what happens. I have a couple gift cards that I can use for some supplies, and I might be selling off a S&W revolver to help fund the new gun as well. I'll keep everyone posted, and still open to suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Perhaps you already know this but your revolver will use lead balls that are larger than the caliber would indicate.

A .36 will use a .375 diameter ball and a .44 will use a .454 or .457 diameter ball.

When you load a chamber in the cylinder, after pouring in the powder charge the ball is placed into the mouth of the chamber.

Because it is larger than the chamber it must be rammed in using the loading lever.
This will shear off a lead ring from the ball and insure the ball fits snugly in place.

This snug fit keeps the flame from the firing chamber from igniting the powder in the non firing chamber. Just as importent, the fit keeps the ball from "jumping" forward when another chamber fires.

Anyway, getting back to the loading lever, there are some revolvers with very short barrels available. That makes the loading lever also very short which makes using it to ram the ball into the chamber very difficult.

Just something to keep in mind while your looking around for a black powder revolver. :)

Another consideration for shorter barrels...
Shorter barrels have more barrel flip that will accentuate any differences in loading from one chamber to the next. And, the shorter the loading lever then the more difficult it is to load each chamber the same, one after the other. From my experiences this can more so come home to the shooter with shorter barrels on 1851 Colt type frames.

Have shot .36 and .44 in the Remington pattern repros and not seen it to be much of a concern even when loading conicals in a dirty (just fired) cylinder.

If your looking for balance get a colt. Remingtons are not known for balance and probably why there was more Peacemakers then Remingtons bought.

If you want ballance the shorter barrel may be closest.

It ls just my opinion from years of reading about a Remingtons. Fact is both will be fun to shoot regardless of the ballance.

If you can make it to a Cabals they have a bargains room with good priced returns. I seen a short barrel 1851 for only $160.

I think for a first timer the 1858 design is a little easier to deal with than the Colts (with the wedge) but pretty much you're going to end up with both. Pick one, enjoy it, and keep an eye on the sales. The really amazing sales are usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas with individual items often only hitting their lowest price for a couple of days and then bumping back up to a higher sale price. You're kind of seeing the tail end of that. It helps to watch a forum like this where people will post when there's a really special sale.

I basically have a list of black powder items Cabelas sells and when they get to a really good price I buy it and have my wife give it to me for Christmas and my birthday. It's a good system but I, um, may have gotten a little ahead...

My short barreled 1858 which was just recently obtained through Cabela's is of much higher quality then the long barreled one I bought from them in January. Not that the first was bad, it's a tack driver and flawless, BUT this one is just so much smoother and the finish (bluing) twice as nice.

The shorted barreled '58, aka Sheriff, kicks a little more than the 8" one, neither is objectionable.

While the .36 in theory uses less lead and powder, the .44 ammunition is more readily obtainable. We regularly shoot both calibers with just 15 grains of powder when punching holes through paper.

As noted earlier, get what you like, it won't be your last.

Thanks for all of the replies. The loading lever length wasn't something I had considered with these guns. Looking now, I can notice a bit of a difference in length, even just slightly. Something I will consider.

I don't think barrel length will deter me one way or the other. I'm just a fan of things lining up a bit better. I love my single action revolvers having the ejector rod match up with the end of the barrel. But for now, I think I'll be happy getting into BP revolvers and learning the in's and out's, and worry about getting my "eye candy" gun a little bit later on.

One thing I do know is I want to stay away from the brass frame. Just doesn't interest me too much (at least right now). I'm going to head into town to check the stores to see what is on hand as far as guns and supplies (assuming I can make it into the store) and decide on caliber based on what they have available as well. Still a few weeks or month or two before the cash is set aside, but I'm a planner and like to know my options. Lot of good info floating around on these boards. Thanks all!

Well, I went to the local Cabelas today to try to check out black powder stuff. No black powder revolvers, and i couldn't find any black powder supplies to check out in the store. I guess I will just have to do everything online. Might have the powder delivered to the store for pick-up so I don't have to pay for the extra shipping.

My local cabelas (Rogers,Ar) has a few left but man is that store bare with most everything else. Still lots of rifles and pistols on the shelves but no Mag's or ammo of certain rounds.

Maybe try Academy Sports.

Latest posts

Back