• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with touch hole replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirejohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally got the old vent (hole enlarged too much) out and proceeded to replace it with another of the same size; 1/4 X 28). In the past I have replaced other style/size vents with no problem. The vent liners just screwed down into the barrel and could actually screw beyond the outside of the barrel. I'd just "unscrew" the liner until flush with the barrel.

This liner however has quite a shoulder or head that sticks up to about twice the depth of the screw slot for a total thickness of about 1/16". I tried reducing the diameter of the head, but the only way that will go into the barrel is if it's smaller in diameter than the vent liner hole - not a viable solution. There is no obstruction in the liner hole to prevent it from screwing all the way in.

The only solution seems to be is to screw the liner in as far as it will go and then grind it off flush with the barrel and touch up (brown) the barrel. However it appears as though the depth of the vent liner's 1/16" vent hole is only about as deep as the head which needs to be ground off in order to make the liner flush with the barrel. Beyond that the 1/16" hole opens up into a wide cavity. I may be wrong about the length of the 1/16" hole as I have no accurate way of measuring this. In any event it would be a very very small distance and I don't know if there is a minumum safe vent hole length or not. The vent liner is the 1/4 X 28 stainless sold by TOW. So my question is how should I procede? ::

PS The old vent liner did have a bit of a screw slot and if I ground this one off flush with the barrel it would go well beyond the screw slot Are/is there other vent liners that would "screw right in"?

Yes, there are several dif. 1/4 x 28 vent liners & they screw in the hole differently and the Shoulders on them are dif. diameters & depths & etc. Apparantly you don't have the same style as you took out.

Is the shoulder on your vent tapered? If so, it is probably meant to be countersunk a bit. In which case you would use a countersinking tool (preferably in a drill press) to lightly countersink the hole you drilled in the barrel for the vent. You do not want to countersink too deeply - just so the vent will screw in to about the bottom of the screwdriver slot in the vent. Tighten snugly, then carefully file the top of the vent flush with the barrel. If you're not comfortable with this option, check other parts dealers. Some carry vents with different kinds of shoulders.

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a different style liner and that should do it - I hope.

Back