• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help with my cannon build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtt849

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Can anyone give my advice on trunnion install idea's? This barrel is 20" long. Machine out of 1018 steel 5" round blank. The barrel is 75% machined in these pics and i still have some detailing to do. The cascable will be threaded in to rear of cannon, Obviously it's only partly machined in this pic. I still need to come up with Carriage design. 1.73" bore 14"deep/ 1-5/32 x
3 1/4" Deep powder pocket. 4 7/8" O.D
Link

Link

Link

Link

If you have a mill and a boring head you can use the boring head set at the diameter of the barrel to cut the radius into the trunnion and then weld them into place

Hawkeye, Ctrl&+ will enlarge pictures on your screen. Ctrl & - will reduce them again. The trick is to remember how many times you clicked to enlarge, so you know how many times to click for reduce to where you were in the first place.

Paul

Well i dont own a mill, but i do have access to waterjet and i think i can set it up to cut radius off trunnion. Also the more I read, people are press fitting them and then welding. That would also help locating them on the barrel. Sounds like i need to do more research. Here are some updated pics of the finished cascable.If anyone has detailed plans for installation that would be great.

Link

Link

Link

Link

For the browsers that use control or command + and - to change size usually doing control or command and 0 will go back to the default size.

why don't you just scale up or down a prototype you like that is suitable for your tube?

I have 1:12 scale Model 1841 42 pounder USS Cairo naval carriage plans if you want them, or you can probably find those with a google search.

Hi
On my 20" by 3.5 barrels i thread the trunnions and use lock tite it works fine i do this for the appearance buy you can socket and weld them in place i had included picture FYI thanks Also silver solder them after they are threaded but i have never had any come off and I've made around 20 of them this size and dozens aand dozens of smaller ones check em out on my website photos just enter scaleartillery in your search engine.

Theirs more pictures at this link Cannon Trunnion pictures

MjlGRDkyNkQyQTI3QjIzNzFCMzg6YzU0NDk4NTUyMjg3ZTYwZDhkNmUxNDdiYTljYWUwMDQ=

MjlGRDkyNkQyQTI3QjIzNzFCMzg6YjNkNGIxMjUyMmNmODdkNzliNGI5NGU2MzIxNDk1OTM=

MjlGRDkyNkQyQTI3QjIzNzFCMzg6ODFkZDc2YjM4NzRiYWZkYmMxMzIyNmM3MTE3ZGJjMjI=

Back