• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need hammer fit advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a TC 'hawken' stock with lock but no hammer. I purchased a used TC hammer to put on. These are interchangeable TC parts......right? Well......no. The lock tumbler lug is too large for the hammer. Not by much, a thou on each side, maybe. But, so far, filing by hand hasn't removed any metal from the lock, it is very hard steel. I need suggestions on how to remedy before taking to a machinist. Thinking maybe heat but I don't want to screw around before seeking advice here.

He's right. Don't mess with the tumbler. Too hard. For a hardened surface get a cheap diamond file set from Harbor Freight and polish all the surfaces to remove the roughness. Then use a bit of oil or grease to achieve a press fit. I've never had one ,but T/Cs appear to be case hardened where they don't need to be. The hammer might be as hard as the tumbler.

He's right. Don't mess with the tumbler. Too hard. For a hardened surface get a cheap diamond file set from Harbor Freight and polish all the surfaces to remove the roughness. Then use a bit of oil or grease to achieve a press fit. I've never had one ,but T/Cs appear to be case hardened where they don't need to be. The hammer might be as hard as the tumbler.
I've been filing on the hammer with no effect, it is indeed, very hard. I'll go to HF and look for some tiny diamond files.

When it goes on it should be very tight, place the tumbler in the lock then the tumbler resting on a piece of steel with a hole to hammer the hammer into place. An interference fit!

I get the hammer to where it is started but snug, I put copper liners on my vice jaws, place the lock between the jaws with the tumbler stud on one jaw, the slightly started hammer on the other jaw and slowly tighten while closely watching for any hint of misalignment and make adjustments if need be as I go.
Robin

Back