• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Names For Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one named Woodrow, after my grandpa I never knew, and another named Gabe.

Fleener

No names for the firearms, nor for chickens, or any livestock that may end up on the table.

Now, the cat DOES have a name, since he comes when I call him (Siamese), and besides, I don't do much Chinese cooking at home anymore.

I have 3 long guns with names.
Enfield 3 bander: Bettie( for bettie page, I like it's lines).
3 band 1863 Springfield-Blondie( the color of it's stock is much paler than Others).
1863 Remington Zouve-Bob( because my uncle Bob gave it to me).

well, I don't suppose that "the fifty," or "the thirty six flint" really count as naming the gun, but that's what I call them

you can name your guns if you want - I don't see any harm in it, but then again, I don't see the fuss, either ...

just one guy's opinion ... free and doubtless well worth the price...

All of my older guns have earned names. Some of my newer guns have earned names and some are still waiting. some of the names are: Ticklebritches, Aimy, Spook, Mouth, Big Red, Blondie, Chief, Junior, Vince, Henrietta, Fancy Nancy and Sin-thia.

Sure, my first rifle was Prudence, as she was inexpensive for me at the time. She was sold and the next rifle, the one I own now is Trudy, which is short for Gertrude, which means "strong spear" and she hammers deer. The other rifle is Patience as it took a long time in arriving..., and working up the best possible load is taking me time too.

I have several other BP rifles but they have not earned names. Since I am going to need to divest myself of them to fix the front end of my car... that's good that I haven't become so enamored as to name them.

LD

I don't know if this counts but I explianed to my wifr that black powder is an addiction and just can't help looking for more.

:rotf: now she calls them crack pipes

Hey Brian, that's funny!

LD -- those are some good names there even though just an allegory. I hope.

I have one called ole head splitter as the first time I used it I shot a deer in the back of the head and it opened it up back to front right to the nose.

Actually I did give a name to my old work truck: James. I would get in the truck after working the graveyard shift and say :"home James" and when I woke up I would be in the drive way at home with little memory of how I got there! :idunno: :hmm: :idunno:

Not only do I name some of my muzzleloaders (the ones that I keep long enough to earn a name) but I have a .45/120 that was named by some of my friends who shot it with full loads and a 500 grain bullet. It is named "Holy S**T" because of the noticeable recoil. :shocked2: I wanted to name it "Kills On Both Ends" and I wanted to use that name in the Sac-Fox language because of my wife's heritage. I wrote to the tribe twice but received no replies. :idunno: It was a simple request but it was ignored. So, it has the name that my friends gave it. :hatsoff:

It seems that names have been given to inanimate objects since us humans started to build things. Rich folks like to name their homesteads or estates is probably the more proper term. Weapons have also had names like King Arthur's famous sword "Excaliber". So I guess if you would like to give your favorite smoke pole a name you may even be PC/HC in doing so.

Yes, I think it was Davy Crockett or possibly Daniel Boon who named his rifle "Tick Licker". I have no idea why it had that name but it meant something to the owner.

Back