• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Names For Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow Beads

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious. Do any of you give your MLers names? I've decided to name my new late Lancaster Amazing Gracie since it shoots so amazingly well. That old hymn was popular back then too.

Of all that I've had or currently have, only one just seemed to come to me and fit OK...I sometimes call my .62cal(20ga) Early Virginia "The Settler" because of my understanding that smoothbores were often used back in those times...but otherwise, no...no names for any of the others

My 16" twist .40 Great Plains Rifle is Sheba because it seemed like she'd never come back home from the barrel-smith.
The .62 rifled flinter TC Hawken is Rattler because that's what the better 2/3's says it does to the quilting room.
Ol' Ugly is a beat up, broke stock repaired, rusty Renegade with a fine lapped .54 x 48" twist round bottom rebore on the insides.
Ren is a TC Renegade with the butt clipped short and a 22" GM fast twist barrel. Has a solid brass ramrod and a sling to hold onto to kinda settle him down.

Seems like they'll name themselves, if it's going to happen. Or your friends will name it for you. I have a short 58 cal rifle that really likes stiff charges of 3f. So loud and distinctive sounding even from a distance, my friends all call it DANG! My 12# GRRW Hawken earned its name from another friend who said he would never lug it around all day. It's now LUG.

In fact my online name is my nickname. Spent so much time around the big fuzzies and seemed to be a magnet for them, friends dubbed me a long time before muzzleloading hit our crowd.

Haven't named any o' mine either, but most have merely been passing acquaintances. I admit to admiring guys that stick with the same guns for years, decades even, and who give them names that have significance to their owners.

Crow Beads said:
Just curious. Do any of you give your MLers names?
Usually end up calling it &^%*#$@!!! Same name I used for the Buick and the dog!! :wink: :rotf:

My .40 caliber Bob Watts rifle has a weeping heart for a thumb piece, I call her Sweetheart...

My .54 has a Lancaster Daisy patch box so I call her Daisy...

I've never been one to name guns and so far have only given a nickname to my .40 flint LL. That rifle is known as Lil' Red because of the stock color and the fact that I was a fan of boxer called "Little Red Lopez".

Wes/Tex said:
Crow Beads said:
Just curious. Do any of you give your MLers names?
Usually end up calling it &^%*#$@!!! Same name I used for the Buick and the dog!! :wink: :rotf:
I should, at least, admit to having one name...though not given by myself. After a gubernatorial parade, and having nearly blown the straw Havana off the "general's" head with a big ole charge and a fist full of pink Easterbasket grass for wadding...my old Potsdammer M.1809/39 got named "Tea Cup". Actually said "general" (long story involving goofy guys and a governor who was given a bright idea) decided I'd used a tea cup for a powder scoop! Demi-tasse, maybe!! :rotf:

I have several named muzzle loaders. "The Target Rifle", The deer Rifle", "The Tingly", "The Pedroseli" , etc. :idunno:

These "name of your gun" topics always remind me of one that was made on the forum a long time ago.

Folks were telling about all sorts of names they had come up with for their guns and one member posted his opinion. It went something like this,

"I refuse to name anything that won't come to me if I call out its name."

Another member responded with,

"You mean your teenagers don't have names?"

:rotf:

As time goes on; each rifle/gun will EARN it's own name. DO NOT make the mistake of naming a gun before hand. That's very bad karma and it will bite you in the end/backside. Patience is job 1. Man and Gun is akin to Man and Wife, if you get my drift!! In the wilderness, you'd better be able to trust'em both. Been there, done that.

Latest posts

Back