• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piratestuff

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 10 ga percussion cap double barrel shotgun that my grandfather obtained in the early 1900s which I am trying to identify. When I obtained the gun, it was completely disassembled and missing some screws and fasteners. On the locks there is some scroll work and they are stamped "New York Gun Co". there are no proof marks visible but each major part has a four digit number all matching . I am wondering if anyone has seen one of these guns or has any thoughts.

I have a 10 ga percussion cap double barrel shotgun that my grandfather obtained in the early 1900s which I am trying to identify. When I obtained the gun, it was completely disassembled and missing some screws and fasteners. On the locks there is some scroll work and they are stamped "New York Gun Co". there are no proof marks visible but each major part has a four digit number all matching . I am wondering if anyone has seen one of these guns or has any thoughts.
Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.

Probably best if you were to take and post some clear photographs in natural light that show the overall gun and some closeups of the locks and any visible stampings or markings on the gun. Then you should get some good feedback on what you have.

You know you gotta add pictures 😜

Here are photos of my 10 ga percussion cap double barrel shotgun that I mentioned in my post. I was finally able to download them to be viewed.

Attachments

• IMG_5063.jpg
    IMG_5063.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5064.jpg
    IMG_5064.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5072.jpg
    IMG_5072.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5084.jpg
    IMG_5084.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
If you find no stampings on the under side of the breech end of the barrels then there’s a good chance that the shotgun was made in America. Over all it’s of the standard pattern of double gun and appears to be of better quality. The locks are of particularly good design.

If you find no stampings on the under side of the breech end of the barrels then there’s a good chance that the shotgun was made in America. Over all it’s of the standard pattern of double gun and appears to be of better quality. The locks are of particularly good design.
Thanks for the info, yes no proofs only the four digit number

Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.

Probably best if you were to take and post some clear photographs in natural light that show the overall gun and some closeups of the locks and any visible stampings or markings on the gun. Then you should get some good feedback on what you have.
thank you

Top of barrel says New York Gun Co. on it. Good indication it's not European. Apologies if I'm wrong , been wrong at least once before.
i am leaning that way, most guns from across the pond are heavy on the proof marks this gun has the same number on every part, but then again some countries in Europe were famous for that as well

thanks. I went back and did see the post, is there a specific Crescent fire arms Co link you are referring to ,you indicated that by visiting the link it would be easy to see it was a Baker, so Im assuming there were examples on the site. I have searched several sites and was able to find lists of other companies they made guns for such as Baker but havent been able to find much on Baker guns like gun I have

thanks. I went back and did see the post, is there a specific Crescent fire arms Co link you are referring to ,you indicated that by visiting the link it would be easy to see it was a Baker, so Im assuming there were examples on the site. I have searched several sites and was able to find lists of other companies they made guns for such as Baker but havent been able to find much on Baker guns like gun I have
Well, the Baker is said to not have a serial number on that page. That's as much spoon feeding I'm doing for you.

Well, the Baker is said to not have a serial number on that page. That's as much spoon feeding I'm doing for you.
Sorry you feel that way, My impression was that this forum was for the inexperienced to learn from the experienced, if your responses are going to be condescending please do not respond my threads.

From the Crescent Fire Arms link: "Crescent took over what remained from Bacon in 1892." New York Arms Co. is listed; not New York Gun Co.

Latest posts

Back