• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery Brass 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a cased brass frame 1858. 0ther than 378 stamped on grip frame and on bottom of barrel under cylinder pin, it is unmarked. Grips look hand made. It came in a case with a brass tag reading:

HANDCRAFTED FOR
PAUL W. HERSH
BY
ALLEN A. PERRYMAN, JR.

Google told me there was an Allen A. Perryman, Jr. in NC who had been in a German POW camp.

Question: Were there ever any kit guns without any manufacturer marks or proofs? Is it conceivable that Mr. Perryman actually made the revolver or, more likely, just the case? Gun appears unfired, although lots of patina on brass. Anyone in NC ever hear of Mr. Perryman?
20230622_195351.jpg
20230622_195424.jpg
20230622_194647.jpg
20230622_194939.jpg
20230622_195449.jpg
20230622_195617.jpg
20230622_195630.jpg
20230622_195534.jpg

Could it be possible that the case was what he made and not the pistol? Just a thought as the plaque is on the case.
As I stated in the post. But the other questions yet to be answered. De-farbed? I have seen several hand made copies of percussion revolvers over the years. A good machinist can make about anything.

Even though it is likely an Italian kit gun, it is still an interesting revolver with a story to tell. I’ve no idea who Mr. Perryman was, but whether he built the case or assembled the revolver or both, he did nice work. He took pains to orient the wood grain in the stocks to maximize strength and minimize risk of splitting, and while the inside of the grip frame was left rough, he did a good job with the exposed metal.

If he was the same man who spent time in a German POW camp, bless his heart! He may have found this type of work to be therapeutic.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Even though it is likely an Italian kit gun, it is still an interesting revolver with a story to tell. I’ve no idea who Mr. Perryman was, but whether he built the case or assembled the revolver or both, he did nice work. He took pains to orient the wood grain in the stocks to maximize strength and minimize risk of splitting, and while the inside of the grip frame was left rough, he did a good job with the exposed metal.

If he was the same man who spent time in a German POW camp, bless his heart! He may have found this type of work to be therapeutic.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Great insight. Thank you.

There are a small hand-full of hobby machinists who can mfg. a revolver from scratch part-for-part, but I tend to agree about the "case" theory. Neat any way you slice it!

Back