• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Swords

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I mistaken in thinking in modern fencing terms, the term "saber fencing" means with a rapier?

I know full well the difference in a real saber, so I'm not referring to that, btw. I've collected 18th and 19th century swords for some time and have quite an extensive number of books on swords.

Gus
It's not cheap, not even the English reprintings but Ridolfo Capo Ferro, an Italian fencing master published a rapier fencing treatise in 1610, Gran Simulacro dell'Arte e dell'Uso della Scherma that became the guide to rapier sword fighting all over Europe. Of course it's cheap on Kindle.......... :D

It's not cheap, not even the English reprintings but Ridolfo Capo Ferro, an Italian fencing master published a rapier fencing treatise in 1610, Gran Simulacro dell'Arte e dell'Uso della Scherma that became the guide to rapier sword fighting all over Europe. Of course it's cheap on Kindle.......... :D

I don't have the full treatise, but I've got some of the illustrations in my other books.

Gus

With Windows and Apple yes. Just go to the appropriate "store" and the Kindle app is free, Kindle Cloud.

Thank you. That's a WHOLE lot less than I have paid for most of my sword books, though a couple went over $100.00 back in the 1980's.

Gus

Saber fencing IS a different beast from Foil, focusses on different strokes, more aggressive and more blade contact, have done it as part of a. traditional Gemeinschaft where the truly expert fellows still do with Sabers. sharpened and DO bear the scars rather proudly....I have been invited to that level but frankly dont feel I would look good with several facial stitch ups (like Frankensteins Monster, Haha). It is an interesting small group with very knowledgeable bladesmihs and alot out of central Europe, Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany...backgrounds on most are former military but its not really discussed as all are fairly private guys...

"This gettin' old stuff is for the birds........."

Boy, isn't that the truth. All these guns and swords seem to get heavier every year. LOL But ya gotta keep trying.

Thanks guys for the interesting Thread. I've read that during the 16th and 17th Century that the rapier was not only used for personal protection, but was also considered a fashion accessory for the "gentleman" LOL. And, lacking a cutting edge, it was never adopted by the military. I too like swords and various blades, Great Thread.

Rick
DSC00070 (Medium).JPG

Back in the mid 1980's, my UnCivil War reenactment unit participated in a sort of historical faire through the ages. There was a small band of 17th century folks and two of them fought very well with blunted rapiers. Then their leader, who was obviously well trained in that sword, challenged all comers.

I never had any formal sword fencing training and was armed with a Model 1850 Foot Officer's sword, a real one, BTW. I had assembled it from an original late 19th century blade and original sword and scabbard parts. The blade was combat worthy, but I did not sharpen it because I used it in reenactments. I did practice from the sword manual for that sword, though.

I didn't accept the challenge because the guy with the rapier was so good, and my sword was much heavier and a fair bit shorter. Further, he was dressed in period clothing that much better suited to a sword fight.

Finally the lady in charge of Tourism for the city asked me to do it for pictures for the newspaper and tourism. I jokingly asked if she wanted to see me run through, as it would not be a fair contest. Long story short, I agreed to do it for her and the Tourism Board. (She was a good friend to our unit.)

First match, he ran me through in no time flat. Second match, I lasted a bit longer, but still went down fast. Third match, I "cheated" a bit by grabbing his blade in my period leather gauntlet with my left hand and got close enough to hit him in the face with the D Guard of my sword, though I stopped the blow well short of his face. Fourth match, I got a little further away, shrugged my shoulders, moved my sword to my left hand and drew my Colt Navy with my right hand. Then I did a poor imitation of Raiders of the Lost Ark where he shot the guy with the big sword, by cocking and pulling the trigger on the empty revolver. With a 2 to 2 "tie," I decided that was more than enough for me. Grin.

THEN the other guy did a demonstration of using TWO Rapiers, one in each hand, to go up against another guy in his group. I was really impressed.

Gus
There is no cheating in a fight tonnthe death. Grabbing the other guy's blade is an acceptable technique.

Saber fencing IS a different beast from Foil, focusses on different strokes, more aggressive and more blade contact, have done it as part of a. traditional Gemeinschaft where the truly expert fellows still do with Sabers. sharpened and DO bear the scars rather proudly....I have been invited to that level but frankly dont feel I would look good with several facial stitch ups (like Frankensteins Monster, Haha). It is an interesting small group with very knowledgeable bladesmihs and alot out of central Europe, Hungary, Czech Republic and Germany...backgrounds on most are former military but its not really discussed as all are fairly private guys...
Imagine these guys in a dark alley!

There is no cheating in a fight tonnthe death. Grabbing the other guy's blade is an acceptable technique.

Exactly. I realized I was playing by his rules before I began the mock fight, but I was only doing it for publicity for the local Historic Council. After two times, I decided to change the rules to something I would have done right off the bat had it been the real thing. In the real thing, it only matters that you win.

Gus

Enjoyable thread! Edged weapons have always had an appeal to me.

Gus, your account reminded me of two brothers of my acquaintance who belonged to the Society For Creative Anachronism. They once engaged in a duel, and the older one grabbed hold of the younger one's blade...there was a momentary pause, and the younger brother drew the sharpened blade back quickly. There was a good bit of blood. They took their sport very seriously.

The older brother and his Wife invited me to dinner one evening. He had been stationed in the wilds of Ethiopia while in the U.S. Army (monitoring radio transmissions), and prepared a most delightful Ethiopian dinner. Then he proceeded to show me numerous edged weapons and chain mail armor he had brought back, and regaled me with tales of an Ethiopian noble who passed him on a trail, the man had armed footmen preceding him, and a gun bearer running behind, followed by a few more warriors, and the nobleman was mounted on a fine white mule, and carried a lance. My friend said :"I don't know who he was, but he was obviously someone of importance. I stepped off the trail, and let them pass." He also told of witnessing a duel between two swordsmen that took place on a hillside across from the one he was on...not a "ballet" so much as a good bit of hacking and slashing. Again, lots of blood.

One of the more memorable dinner invites I have enjoyed. That was many years ago...thanks for bringing the memory back.

Richard/Grumpa

"This gettin' old stuff is for the birds........."

Boy, isn't that the truth. All these guns and swords seem to get heavier every year. LOL But ya gotta keep trying.

Thanks guys for the interesting Thread. I've read that during the 16th and 17th Century that the rapier was not only used for personal protection, but was also considered a fashion accessory for the "gentleman" LOL. And, lacking a cutting edge, it was never adopted by the military. I too like swords and various blades, Great Thread.

RickView attachment 49133
By the way, how do you like your doglock? Loyalist Arms?

Hi kje54.

The musket is a custom build from Leonard Day that I purchased second-hand a number of years ago. It had seen very little use. It's not heavy, and points very well. The fishtail stock's shoulder to cheek position is much more comfortable than I first thought. While the lock timing is slower than the flintlock, it's faster than the snaphaunce. All part of lock development during the period working towards the true French style flintlock. But these Mid-17th Century guns are a blast to shoot.
Here's a pic of the same musket with a doglock pistol from the same period, along with a pouch and horn set with a bit of a Mid-17th Century flair.

Rick
002 (Medium).JPG

Hi kje54.

The musket is a custom build from Leonard Day that I purchased second-hand a number of years ago. It had seen very little use. It's not heavy, and points very well. The fishtail stock's shoulder to cheek position is much more comfortable than I first thought. While the lock timing is slower than the flintlock, it's faster than the snaphaunce. All part of lock development during the period working towards the true French style flintlock. But these Mid-17th Century guns are a blast to shoot.
Here's a pic of the same musket with a doglock pistol from the same period, along with a pouch and horn set with a bit of a Mid-17th Century flair.

RickView attachment 51143
Those are very nice. What a nice collection. What's the barrel length on the pistol?

Hi Roundball

The barrel length on the pistol is 13.5" and .50 caliber. It's a 1640ish pistol made from TRS Kit #627. Assembled by Mike Brooks. The lock has the interesting feature of an internal frizzen spring. Just another one of those experiments during lock development during this period. Thanks for your comments.

Rick
English Doglock Pistol 005 (Medium).jpg

Hi Roundball

The barrel length on the pistol is 13.5" and .50 caliber. It's a 1640ish pistol made from TRS Kit #627. Assembled by Mike Brooks. The lock has the interesting feature of an internal frizzen spring. Just another one of those experiments during lock development during this period. Thanks for your comments.

RickView attachment 51152
Thanks it's a wonderful piece.

Hi kje54.

RickView attachment 51143
too bad that LEONARD DAY is gone, he was a real master, and he was here in NEW ENGLAND.

too bad that LEONARD DAY is gone, he was a real master, and he was here in NEW ENGLAND.
Hi Toot

I've heard that his Son (and maybe one other ?) have taken over the business and continue to build. Can't confirm this, but others on this Forum probably can.

Rick

Back