• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

historical replica or real thing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldglimmer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Dear muzzleloading friends,

I recently bought as "decoration" on a German online platform (I live in Germany), a wheel lock pistol that does not look at all like a modern replica. The previous owner had no clue at all, as to what he was selling. My local gunsmith says it's a real wheel lock gun, and the wheel still works (only one try) and sets the trigger (one pull)...

But on the German gun forums, most guys said it looks like a historical fake.

I am kind of at a loss, and would be happy to hear any and all opinions and maybe see any similar references (most wheel lock guns I find in books and online seem much more elaborately worked)...

Thank you for your insight!
Greetings from Bavaria!

Attachments

• radschloss pistole1.jpg
    radschloss pistole1.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 9
  • radschloss pistole2.jpg
    radschloss pistole2.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 0
  • radschlosspistole wappen1.jpg.jpg
    radschlosspistole wappen1.jpg.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 0
  • radschlosspistole wappen2.jpg
    radschlosspistole wappen2.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 0
I’d see another gunsmith if he can’t tell that from the real thing. A lot of these were gotten up in Victorian times to sell as wall decorations for the upper middle classes that came into $$ and wanted their domicile to have that “ old money “ look.

Older reproduction or not, it is a cool piece. I am bidding on a similar gun, but it is a French wheellock. It is advertised as a modern reproduction. They say that the lock is function, whatever that may mean.

Older reproduction or not, it is a cool piece. I am bidding on a similar gun, but it is a French wheellock. It is advertised as a modern reproduction. They say that the lock is function, whatever that may mean.
Uh oh ... we should have communicated, as I had bid on that one too! I'll defer to you and will not bid against you!

To the OP, if truly German i would say there would be maker's marks on the barrels and on the lockplate, inside or out. Checking the breech plug could verify if possibly a real barrel. But note it was VERY common to build 'repros' in the late 1800s in Europe, of fire locks that were a mix match of both real and FAKE or reproduction parts.

thanks so much to all of you! i just received the answer from one of the more upscale auction houses here, and they also said it’s a 19th C repro.
… well, it will go to someone who wants it on their wall…
Still very exciting researching wheel locks and their various types…

Latest posts

Back