• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally was able to get out and hunt this week. After never having hunted turkey before, I gave it a good try. I heard birds from the time I got there, until this happened at 10:15. I had to bring him in from nearly 1/2 mile away and I watched him come virtually the whole way, as he responded to my call and the two decoys. The gun is an original 14ga. Belgium made gun with no names and no chokes, just cylinder bored. Load was 2 3/4dr.of 2F Schuetzen and 1 1/8oz. of #6's. Just an over powder card and an overshot card. One head shot at 30yds. but him down like he was struck with a lightning bolt.

2009Birda.jpg

2009bird14gaMler.jpg
[/img]

Congrats! Nothing like the feeling of making meat with a weapon our forefathers used. :thumbsup:

Absolutely terrific, Dave. Nice gun, and very nice bird. Thank you for sharing the story of the hunt with us. There is virtue in Patience. :thumbsup:

Thanks all. After skinning, a post mortem study was made to determine where all the pellets went. I had done guite a bit of patterning on this gun when I first returned it to service about 5-6 yrs. ago.(still loaded after how many years and one missing hammer, I replaced both hammers) I logged the patterning results and used them. The head and neck was absolutely punished. There were 2 pellet holes found in the right wing, which is the side the bird was taken from. The head and neck, were definitely where the pellets were targeted.

well done man, nice bird and gun. your a lucky or just plain good hunter to kill a turkey after just starting hunting them

Very nice job Dave, you will have great memories of this hunt. :applause:
Congrats on a job well done :hatsoff: .
Dusty :wink:

Back