• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Deer / First Muzzleloader Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoda1624

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the hunting stories that I have read here, so I thought I would share mine.

My friend (Wirehairman) and I hunted hard this season trying to get our deer with our traditional blackpowder rifles. He has several deer under his belt with his blackpowder. I honestly had no interest in hunting deer until I got interested in muzzleloading. It was the last day of our season (Nov 30th) and despite all of our efforts, we were unable to get the deer to cooperate. We had several near misses which are stories for a different day.

Saturday night, I was about to call it a season and go home without my deer. We got back to the house and my friend's Step-father suggested we call this guy he did some work with a while ago. I must say that we were both pretty skeptical since had only ran into well-trained spooky deer until then, but we got permission to hunt his property anyway.

We got there shortly after shooting light and we came over this hill and saw a doe and fawn. We decided to put the sneak since the wind was in the right direction. I crept up on the doe and got within about 100 yards and then she and the fawn moseyed over the hill to the next little ravine. I was about to take off when I saw this little guy go over with her. After he cleared the hill, I took off and closed the distance.

I crept over the next hill half expecting to see them already in the next county, but found that she was on the other side working her way up to the top with her fawn in the lead. Again about 100 yards. I looked to the left and there he was in the bottom at 68 yards (measured after the shot). I stood up and shot. He jumped straight up and went forward about 10 feet and wobbled for about 5 to 10 seconds and then fell over dead. Obviously not a trophy Mule Deer, but my first never the less.

I used a .50 T/C Hawken PRB with a GM barrel and 75 grains of Swiss powder.

Thanks for the help, Wirehairman. Curse you too for getting me into muzzleloading.

Anyway, the proof:

IMG00046.jpg

Fabucci

Nice job! Congratulations and wish you many more successful hunts.
Idaho PRB

Great story and a nice buck.

Waidmanns Heil and congrats! :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

Congrats Fabucci!
You in trouble now though....you'll be addicted to Muzzleloaders and Hunting...It's a real Sickness! :grin:

Nice deer, good to see you take the traditional path, it is rewarding in a special way that must be experienced no description can do it justice.

Great story and Congratulations :thumbsup:
68 yards and offhand...that's good shootin. :hatsoff:

Grats Fabucci! :hatsoff:
Good huntin'. Good shootin'. Good friend. Meat in the freezer. Antlers on the wall. A story to tell. Memories that'll last forever. Life is good! :thumbsup:

of course you realize there's no goin' back now... you're hooked. :wink:

Latest posts

Back