• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzle loading in Austin, New Oreleans and San Fran.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teggy89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm an Australian just getting into black powder but before I head home I'll be travelling through your wonderful country and I'd love to take advantage of your cheaper goods and larger selection.

Can you guys recommend any good stores in Austin, New Orleans or San Fran that have a good stock of black powder supplies?

Also if anyone knows anything firearm or military history related in any of those towns that I should see that would also be really appreciated.

San Fran has Alcatraz out on an Island that you may find of interest. Started as a Military fort I believe somewhere around or before the Civil war and then it became a prison years later. Now it's just a national park but still has the prison there.

McBride's gun store in Austin Texas has everything for all kinds of shooting. Look up Joe McBride and tell him George Tatom told you to look him up.

Geo. T.

I believe there are no gun stores of any type in the city of San Francisco anymore. The local government/ liberals chased them all out. You would have to cross the bay and find a Bass Pro Shop for powder. There is a Bass Pro in the city of Manteca I think. Then there is a little gun shop in the city of El Cerrito called Old West Guns. They don't have much anymore in the way of black powder supplies. El Cerrito is right across the bay from San Francisco and a little north. Much closer than Manteca. And don't even think about going into the city of Oakland :shake:

Agree about McBrides in Austin, 30th & N. Lamar. Most other shops in the Austin have little on nothing in muzzleloading supplies, sadly.

I live just outside of New Orleans. None of the gun shops in this area have any muzzleloading supplies to speak of. I get most of my stuff on line from places like Track of the Wolf, Midway, Graf and Sons, Natches Shooters Supply, etc.

McBrides is about the only one in Austin any more. But they don't have as much as they used to. The last time I went to Cabela's in Buda (Bew-dah, not Boo-dah)(which is just south of Austin)they didn't have any blackpowder guns and very little supplies.

You might want to visit the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DTR)Museum. (The DTR is ok, not great thought) If you can make it up to Waco (Way-ko, not wacko), the Texas Ranger Museum is a must see.

Hope you enjoy yourself in Austin. Scholtz's Garten (beer garden) is a good place for a cold beer and greasy burger.

(Original Austinite)(but got out of there as soon as I could)

Teggy89 said:
Hey guys I'm an Australian just getting into black powder but before I head home I'll be travelling through your wonderful country and I'd love to take advantage of your cheaper goods and larger selection.

Can you guys recommend any good stores in Austin, New Orleans or San Fran that have a good stock of black powder supplies?

You did not say when you are coming or how you are traveling.

If you go through Mississippi, you might make a trip to TVM, custom gun maker.

The Texas Muzzle Loading Rifle Shoots are March, June and October, good shopping there during the shoot.

Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg can be hit or miss on Uberit/Cimarron pistols and Pedersoli, it's an hour from Austin and is a nice place with nice folks. Fredericksburg, you can spend all day there shopping and eating.

In Waco, there is the Texas Rangers Museum (not the baseball team) a short distance north of Austin which is worth a trip. Shopping for M/L in Texas is a waste, have not been to Mc Brides though.

Cheers guys, I'll give McBrides a look, someone mentioned Reds gun range there too so I though I'll give that a try.

Sorry forgot to mention I'm flying in everywhere and I don't have a car, I'm doing the whole back packing thing, spent about 5 months in Europe so far...

I'm about to fly into new Orleans for 4 nights, then Austin for 6, then Vegas, San Fran and Vancouver.

Teggy89 said:
Cheers guys, I'll give McBrides a look, someone mentioned Reds gun range there too so I though I'll give that a try.

Red's is a modern facility with no muzzleloading supplies, was there a week ago. Interesting place none the less...but be ready to go hard right when you come off the freeway and be careful, it's a goofy set up! :thumbsup:

There's the Challmette Battlefield in New Orleans and the D Day Museum located at the old Higgins Boat factory. The Museum for the Confederacy is located in New Orleans also.

Not just Normandy D Day but all D Day landings in Europe and the Pacific.

You lucky son of a B#!*#@! I was in the USA on the way home from a backpacking trip about your age (several years ago). I went into a western saddlery type store in San Fran down near the pier and saw they had blackpowder revolvers and kit for sale.

I bought a capping tool which I still have now. Just remember that you have to get anything you buy back into the country. It may be easier to buy it there and post it?

I have always wanted to go to a big Cabelas store. Couple of mates I know went into one and maxed out their cards. Had to make emergency calls to their wives to send more fun vouchers. Think you would be crazy not to go to one while you are there.

Hopefully some of the iconic sites will be open to the public by then after the shutdown. If I had the cash I would go to a custom gunbuilder and get something off the rack.

Stay safe.

Cabela's in Buda is definitly easy to get to. Only about 15 miles south of the middle of Austin. It's like being a kid in a candy shop. You go right down I-35 (Interstate 35) and it's on the right hand side when you get to Buda.

You also need to try out some of the Bar-B-Que places in Austin. Iron Works, Stubbs, Salt Lick, County Line are all pretty good. Plenty of Mexican places to eat too. I hope you have a great experience in Texas. Austin's nice if you can get past all the geeks, freaks and ...s.

Camp Mabry is the Texas Army National Guard Headquarters and they have a very nice military musuem.

Lone Star used to be THE beer, but not so much anymore. Still you should try one just so you can say you did.

And remember "Hook'em Horns" and you'll get by just fine.

SHINER BOCK or regular shiners beer is a good local brew. Tex Mex food there is awesome but if you see a truck with a good lunch crowd try some real mexican food.
when you leave there are you going to vancouver wa. or vancouver b.c. i live just at the border and volunteer at Ft Langle B.C. good history there.

If you let people know the dates you may get invited to be a guest at an event, rody or reenactment.

If you came to the Michigan area I would invite you to a CW reenactment or a day at the range.

Thanks,
Mark Foster

Wow! Cheers for all the responses guys, I'm going to have a busy couple of days. I've written everything down so I'll check off as much as I can.

Reds I'm not going to for black powder but just to play with the stuff I can't normally use in Australia haha. I'll be in Austin from the 19th to the 25th then I'll be in Vegas for 3 nights before heading to San Fran.

My intention is to buy accessories and gear. I can't buy actual powder, lead or firearm parts because I'll need a special permit to take them back.

I managed to get to both the D-day museum and the confederate museum here in new Orleans. The Confederate one is nice but the D-day one is incredible, I highly recommend it to anyone who gets down here.

Back