• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Loader Seasons By State...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Pennsylvania has an early (does only)ML season, which is open to any ML rifle of .44 cal. or larger as well as our Traditional (Flintlock) season which starts Dec.26 or 27 if the 26th falls on a Sunday.

What ML seasons if any exist in your state and are there any restrictions on lock types, powder, projectiles, sights, etc.?

Here in Massachusetts, our season begins December 12th and goes to the 31st. We cannot hunt Sundays.

One thing to add is that we can hunt with muzzleloaders during the shotgun season. That season runs from November 28th to the 10th of December.

We do have some restrictions but not much. Minimum bore size of 44 caliber, maximum of .775. Totally enclosed breeh and break open muzzleloaders aren't allowed in the special season. But they can be used during the shotgun season. Sabots and scopes are allowed. Minimum barrel length is 18".

Hi Flash,

After taking a thrashing earlier in another thread for merely suggesting a Flintlock or Earlier Season, I was wondering if there was a big push to have cap ignitions added to the PA Flintlock season?

Are the caplock folks feeling or expressing discrimination?

Part of the reason for the early season regulations as they stand was to appease those who were pushing for the inclusion of other types of ignition in ML season. There has been grumbling over the years about the inclusion of percussion, but the flintlocks only rule stood. Three years ago, however I don't think that the legislation for the early season would have gone anywhere if it had excluded modern ignition systems.

The only major change that I have seen to our flintlock season was their dropping the roundball only limitation about 20 years ago.

When the early season did finally come about, I think that most ML hunters were so ecstatic about having a crack at a deer before the general firearms season that they didn't even think to argue about the ignition types that were to be permitted.

round ball only in PA wasn't that long ago was it....i moved to PA in 84 but remember seeing round ball only quite a few years ago maybe 10 years ago....i could be wrong..............bob

Here in R.I we pretty much have the green light on anything concerning muzzle loaders, with a min cal of .45 cal.

Muzzle loader can be used during our shotgun season but must be smoothbore and min gauge is 20. Hmm might be 16 ga heh I ferget. Anyhows it don't make any sense cause Shotgun season is no longer smoothbore only here, so why they won't let us have the option of continueing to use our regular muzzle loaders during shotgun season is beyond me. I'd much rather have people in the woods with one shot than the usual five shots in a shotgun.

in PA is the early(does only)ML season for all types of Muzzle loaders from oct.15-22? Thats what heard and i just wanted to make shure.

no, im only 16 and i dont have an adult to hunt with. :(

Besides i still need to do alot of shooting before i want to try to take down a deer.

Utah ML season starts in 2 weeks, any lock type, 1x scope,
single barrel, min length 18", powder and bullet can't be bonded together, can't use smokeless powder(as in the savage
inline).40 cal, 170 gr. or more for deer and pronghorn, 210 gr for Elk, moose, buff, sheep, goat, 240 if it's a saboted bullet. No handguns, not even for a finishing shot.
Archery season has been on for a month, ends tomorrow, 2 weeks to let the deer settle down . Rifle season not til Oct. 20. ML season 9 days, rifle season 5 days. Have to draw for one or the other, archery, ML, rifle. Can't hunt all 3 anymore.

Here in NJ we hunt ML deer by zone. Some zones you can hunt up to 63 days. Other zones only 13 days. Some zone you can take 2 deer on the same day. You can use in-line percussion and flintlock. You must buy a permit per zone. You can hunt as many zones as you wish.

CT has a Muzzle Loader only deer season that runs from Dec. 7 through Dec. 20. There are no restrictions except: .45 caliber minimum, single projectile only, no pistols.
Bag limit - State land: (Total 1) of either sex. Private land: (Total 2) 1 either sex & 1 anterless

The only other way to hunt deer with a muzzle loader is with a Free landowner permit (Nov. 1 - Dec. 31) - one must be the owner or a decendant of 10 acres or more & can use any legal deer weapon including a muzzle loader. (Total 2) 1 either sex & 1 anterless

CT has a Muzzle Loader only deer season that runs from Dec. 7 through Dec. 20. There are no restrictions except: .45 caliber minimum, single projectile only, no pistols.
Bag limit - State land: (Total 1) of either sex. Private land: (Total 2) 1 either sex & 1 anterless

The only other way to hunt deer with a muzzle loader is with a Free landowner permit (Nov. 1 - Dec. 31) - one must be the owner or a decendant of 10 acres or more & can use any legal deer weapon including a muzzle loader. (Total 2) 1 either sex & 1 anterless

Never understood why a state does not allow someone to use a ML during regular firearms seasons
:shocking:

PA has a two ML deer seasons. Both require you to buy an ML stamp. Both run concurrent to archery deer and small game seasons. Must use a longgun of .44 cal or larger with a single projectile, sabots ok. In both seasons, the ML stamp also allows you to use a cross-bow.

One season is doe only and runs for 7 days in October (Sat,Mon-Sat). This season was initially flintlock only but also opened 3-4 years ago to percussion (in-line, sidelock, underhammer). Scopes are ok. Must wear orange vest and hat. Last 3 days are also a centerfire doe season open to junior and senior hunters, active duty armed services, and disabled hunters. Need a doe permit for the management unit or property you are hunting.

The 2nd season runs for about 3 weeks after christmas except for sundays. This is primitive, flintlock only season for buck or doe. Open sights only. Fiber optics ok but enclosed peeps are not. Orange is not required. If not yet used, the buck tag may be used to take a doe.

There isn't much support for opening flintlock season to percussion guns but I'm sure there are many who would like to use in-line percussion guns if allowed. A thread on[url][url] huntingpa.com was overwhelming in favor of keeping the season primitive and felt there was enough opportunity to use in-lines in the other seasons. Sidelock percussion guns aren't very common since our regulations encourage us to buy and use flintlocks and in-lines are allowed in the early season. If the late season allowed all sidelocks, I'm sure those would become more popular but at the expense of flintlocks. Since there isn't any functional difference between sidelock percussion and in-lines, I'd like to keep our primitive season flintlock only.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several reasons I suppose:
1. It's designed to make hunters buy an additional weapon to support gun shops, the industry and the state if they want to deer hunt earlier during the rut.
2. It's designed to sell additional deer permits and earn more money for the state for those who want to hunt more. In small New England states, there's a lot of competition to lure hunters in from other states. (i.e.- some states offer M.L. pistol hunting or Sunday Hunting which we don't.) Because the states are small, there is more interstate hunting, and the state can sell more out of state deer hunting permits this way, especially to bordering state residents.
3. Because our muzzle loader season is separate from the firearms seasons, M.L. hunters are free to hunt any state owned land we choose without restriction or having to enter a lottery for assignment to a deer management zone. So in effect, the muzzle loader hunters are being granted exclusive deer hunting rights on all state lands during the season and don't have to share it for the 2 weeks with shotgun hunters.

Never understood why a state does not allow someone to use a ML during regular firearms seasons

N.Y. and PA does....even ya can use yer bow in deer season in PA cause it's deer season not rifle season.............bob

Whats a matter you guys---- this kid needs to go huntin---he is in PA---- if he wus in MT he would have someone to hunt with--- namely ME. :m2c:

Maine's blackpowder season is State wide-Nov.28-Dec.3
Then in WMD's 12,13,15,16,17,18,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,30 Dec.5-Dec.10

Back