• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Filing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoothshooter said:
No good way to raise the comb without adding something to the top of the stock that would look out of place on a muzzleloader.
I've seen an image of at least one period muzzleloader that someone had added a pad (horsehair?) covered with leather and the edge affixed to the stock with tacks. Served to raise the comb...

smoothshooter said:
Do you only file the bevel on the INSIDE, leaving the outside of the barrel(s) square with the bore?
If so, at approximately what angle of bevel seems to work best, or is it that critical?
I have only ever worked on thin walled barrels so filed the whole barrel wall and the polished a finish when satisfied with the result.

I understand increasing the bevel or crown in one portion of the circumference on thick walled barrels has the same effect.

B

M.D. said:
This is interesting news to me as I have never heard of filing a muzzle out of square to manipulate sighting. In gun smith training I was taught to keep the muzzle square and bend the barrel if necessary.
I have a shot gun with a cropped barrel I will need to try this with and note how it effects both patterning and sighting. I can see how it would be practical with a double barrel but usually the answer there is to pull barrels apart, wedge regulate and re-solder.
Great Post, always something new to be learned!
Keeping a muzzle square to the bore on a rifle is a golden rule yes.
However there is many an English double gun (shotgun) that on inspection doesn't have square muzzles!
A measure of regulation can be achieved thus and is way easier than re-soldering.

B.

I know on modern single barrel shotguns bending is the preferred method to change POI. My good friend built a jig from an old brake band remover to bend barrels, and the local trap, skeet, sporting clays range kept him busy.

From a physics standpoint it's reasonable to assume if you remove metal from the bottom, the gases will exert pressure downward... thus moving the barrel up. But I've never seen it done. I'll ask my gunsmith friend...

There's no reason not to trust Britsmoothy advice... but you may start expecting Afternoon Tea and Scones and start driving on the wrong side of the road.

A call to Brownells could solve this... their gunsmith's are well trained and eager to help others. They've got me out of a jam a time or two. :slap:

Eterry said:
I know on modern single barrel shotguns bending is the preferred method to change POI. My good friend built a jig from an old brake band remover to bend barrels, and the local trap, skeet, sporting clays range kept him busy.

From a physics standpoint it's reasonable to assume if you remove metal from the bottom, the gases will exert pressure downward... thus moving the barrel up. But I've never seen it done. I'll ask my gunsmith friend...

There's no reason not to trust Britsmoothy advice... but you may start expecting Afternoon Tea and Scones and start driving on the wrong side of the road.

A call to Brownells could solve this... their gunsmith's are well trained and eager to help others. They've got me out of a jam a time or two. :slap:

gonpc said;

11-20-17 09:27 PM - Post#1652569
In response to 410-er

"I filed a pedersoli 12 ga last spring and it was so easy and worked so well I was amazed. Just take it easy and file a small amount at a time. Worked great."

It therefore is not just me.

B

Britsmoothy said:
I understand increasing the bevel or crown in one portion of the circumference on thick walled barrels has the same effect.
B

That is what i do most of the time.

William

Britsmoothy is quite correct. Muzzle filing has been a respected method of regulating double guns for a long time. On doubles it's pretty much what can be done without relaying the ribs. Works on single barrels too.

If you want the load to hit higher, file off the lower area of the barrel.

If you want the load to hit lower, file off the upper area of the barrel.

File the right side to move the shot to the left and the left side to move the shot to the right.

At least, that's what I've read on this topic so far.

If I was doing it, and wanted to raise the pattern on the target I would file the lower area so that most of the material removed would be at the bottom of the barrel, tapering to none removed right at the center of the bore.

That way the filed surface would seem to blend in smoothly with the remaining unfiled surface above the center of the bore.

Zonie said:
If you want the load to hit higher, file off the lower area of the barrel.

If you want the load to hit lower, file off the upper area of the barrel.

File the right side to move the shot to the left and the left side to move the shot to the right.

At least, that's what I've read on this topic so far.

If I was doing it, and wanted to raise the pattern on the target I would file the lower area so that most of the material removed would be at the bottom of the barrel, tapering to none removed right at the center of the bore.

That way the filed surface would seem to blend in smoothly with the remaining unfiled surface above the center of the bore.
Correct, thank you.

B :hatsoff:

I am unclear about what should be filed:

Does one file

a) the inside of the bottom half of the bore (thus slightly thinning the barrel wall near the muzzle) or

b) the edge of the bottom half of the bore (thereby slightly shortening the length of the bottom half of the barrel)?

MikeEasy said:

Does one file

a) the inside of the bottom half of the bore (thus slightly thinning the barrel wall near the muzzle) or

b) the edge of the bottom half of the bore (thereby slightly shortening the length of the bottom half of the barrel)?

b) :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy said:
MikeEasy said:

Does one file

b) :thumbsup:

Brit, Am I correct in assuming that one does not file a bevel on the muzzle.with

Only file square the end of the muzzle.

:idunno:

Black Hand said:
smoothshooter said:
No good way to raise the comb without adding something to the top of the stock that would look out of place on a muzzleloader.
I've seen an image of at least one period muzzleloader that someone had added a pad (horsehair?) covered with leather and the edge affixed to the stock with tacks. Served to raise the comb...
Yes, Plenty of English and French pieces done that way for shooting on the wing.

DONE! EASY! Now after the 2 week deer season is over I'll give a report.

Back