• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a non-working Mowrey rifle as part of a deal. I removed the brass sideplate and discovered the large horseshoe shaped spring is loose in the lock. I would like to locate someone who could repair the lock and return the rifle to shooting condition. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

That pic is great. It will help me get this thing back together and functioning. I appreciate the help. I love the look and feel of the rifle and look forward to shooting it.
Mine is also marked Olney Texas and is 54 caliber. The bore looks good and the barrel is browned with only very minor pitting.

Deer Creek Products in Waldron, Indiana will have the parts that you need. They used to manufacture those rifles and still have most of the parts on hand.

Olney, Texas was the company's original home base and manufacturing site. Yours was made before they sold out to Deer Creek. A lot of shooters, back in the day, got their start with the Mowrey style. They even made a carbine with the state seal in the stock for the Texas Army, one of the 'everybody's a colonel' groups that did parades and San Jacinto Day functions. The original production had both brass and steel receivers available and there was also a shotgun version as well.

I have a Olney Mowrey with a brass lock/barrel plug. The brass broke right behind the where the plug goes into the barrel.I called until I talked with the foreman in Indiana,they have no parts to fix my Mowrey. One of the rifles,either the Texas,or the Indiana versions has a 3/4 plug, the other has a 5/8 plug. He didn't have mine. I believe it would be entirely unsafe to attempt to braze or silver solder the parts back together. Indiana has some replacement parts that may fit the Texas Mowreys,but not many.

Back