• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modern shotgun barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built this 20 gauge flintlock using a Stevens single shot barrel. I cut the chamber off and had a breech plug made and installed. The machinist told me that he could have bored the chamber out and soldered in a sleeve that would have given me another couple of inches barrel length. It was a handy canoe gun that I sold on the forum awhile back. I didn't like the way it handled due to the length and I don't have a canoe so I let it go.

View attachment 257570View attachment 257571
That's a pretty serious conversion, more of a build from the ground up than a conversion. Those barrels are hefty, and I've always thought they would let themselves well to threading a breach. Those are the ones that I've seen converted to muzzleloaders by threading the breach, adding a plug, and drilling 209 primer holes, but definitely not a flintlock.

I built this 20 gauge flintlock using a Stevens single shot barrel. I cut the chamber off and had a breech plug made and installed. The machinist told me that he could have bored the chamber out and soldered in a sleeve that would have given me another couple of inches barrel length. It was a handy canoe gun that I sold on the forum awhile back. I didn't like the way it handled due to the length and I don't have a canoe so I let it go.

View attachment 257570View attachment 257571
This is exactly what I want to do. Just need to find a long barreled 20 gauge shotgun.

This is exactly what I want to do. Just need to find a long barreled 20 gauge shotgun.
I assumed that this project was based on the fact that you already had a barrel. It would probably be much cheaper and easier (unless you're a machinist) to just buy a muzzleloader barrel to start with.

209 primer conversion is not what I meant. Sorry, it is the exact opposite of what I am trying to do which is a round barreled flintlock build like The Crisco Kid, did.

I assumed that this project was based on the fact that you already had a barrel. It would probably be much cheaper and easier (unless you're a machinist) to just buy a muzzleloader barrel to start with.
The barrel I would like to buy is not available at this time or I cannot find one to purchase, I was offered to purchase one that was longer, had a dent in the barrel, no maker info for $270 shipped so i figured I could find an old single shot 20ga and build from it. I have tapped and threaded breech plugs before so that is a non issue.

The barrel I would like to buy is not available at this time or I cannot find one to purchase, I was offered to purchase one that was longer, had a dent in the barrel, no maker info for $270 shipped so i figured I could find an old single shot 20ga and build from it. I have tapped and threaded breech plugs before so that is a non issue.
Okay, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

That seems more in line with what a barrel should cost. $270 is nuts.
Although the old single shots are not as plentiful as they once were for cheap.

That seems more in line with what a barrel should cost. $270 is nuts.
Although the old single shots are not as plentiful as they once were for cheap.
What I was originally looking for was an octagon to round 36 inch barrel. New at TOTW $249 plus Breech plug $12 plus shipping. Not in stock. It seems that these types of barrels are not in stock everywhere I have looked online.

I’ve seen an adapter for them to that just pops in the back and then is loaded like a regular muzzleloader. And I myself have thought about dabbling in it.

20 gauge to 209 Muzzle Loading Adapter

Not sure if that what you are looking for or just a full on modified barrel.

Anthony
I looked at the adapter and read the info it says black or sub only no smokeless .If it is a barrel for smokeless it seems you could use smokeless powder in it .Just seems odd to me

my next two projects are going to be a 410 and a 16gauge.both barrels are hardware store guns made in Chicopee Falls. just waiting to get a couple other projects done first. then a full clean up of my shop. somewhere in the clutter are the tools i will need.
What a full cleanup lol It will not last but a day or two if you are like me but go for it

I looked at the adapter and read the info it says black or sub only no smokeless .If it is a barrel for smokeless it seems you could use smokeless powder in it .Just seems odd to me
I was thinking the same. I figured that was what I would use for the time being until I bought a real deal muzzleloader made specifically for my needs.

Anthony

Back