• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnesota Rookie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feyx0006

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to wait to post my introduction until I had a chance to take my own ML rifle to the range for a first real workout. I finally had my chance today. I had a good few hours to spend with my .50 cal Hawken replica and some paper targets. I LOVED THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! :thumbsup:

My accuracy needs some improvement as my groups are still quite large. I am also noticing that I am shredding my shooting patches (contributing to the inaccuracy perhaps?). :cursing: I found several that looked like donuts--a ring of fabric with a hole in the center where the ball used to rest. I am using Hornady .490 round balls w/ Cabela's .010 pre-lubed shooting patches. After finding shredded patches, I tried lubing the heck out of them w/ Bore Butter all the way until they were frankly goopy. Nothing changed except that one extra-goopy patch started on fire and sat there smouldering on the range ground for a couple of minutes. I also varied my loads between 60 grs Goex FFg and 90 grs FFg. No help here either :surrender:

I really wanted to thank everyone on this forum for the information and knowledge contributed and also for the responses to my few questions. This is what provided me with the essential information I needed to start into this sport. I hope to continue to learn from here and eventually contribute from my own experience. Thanks again! :hatsoff:

Feyx(or should that be Dr.Feyx),
Welcome to the MLF,great to have you with
us. Best of luck in your chosen career.
Hope you will visit often and contribute
when you can.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Welcome to camp!
I'll just bet you if you was to take your current problem with patches over to say Muzzleloading Accuracy and start a thread, you probably get a little advice to help out! Include a little info about loads,patches,cal, brand of rifle, those things always help with a diagnosis!

welcome to the forum from WNC. lots of knowledgeable BP shooters here. my 2 bits try a felt button overpowder, some filler of any sort (cornmeal or grits) or just wad up some wasp nest as the ol-timers did. or patching material. you should be using tighter patch IMO anyway.

Welcome to the campfire. Yep, it sounds like you need to talk things over on the muzzle loader accuracy forum. You'll get all kinds of advice. Most of it contradictory and all of it correct, but then again that's half of the fun of this sport. Figurong out what is the best load for your particular gun. Have fun.

Back