• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mink Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rummaging through the TOTW's catalog, I saw that they had 100% mink oil. Well, always being a Kiwi sort of guy from the military, I've always used Kiwi. I belong to a couple reenactment groups and as we all know, good footwear isn't cheap; the dividend being paid back during long events. Well on recommendations from many a respected person, I decided to give it a try. As it was listed as 100% Mink oil and I was told to beware synthetics; I bought it and gave it a try. Well, the smell is musk, no doubt about that; not the best but certainly not the worse musk I've smelled. What I did notice almost immediately was the keen interest from our cats and dogs concerning those boots. So,,,, to the flaming; Did I screw up using 100% mink oil patch lube on my boots? Have I just created an expensive chew toy or litter box? Has anyone else who used mink oil have problems from their pets?

This digresses some. I have TOTW's mink oil for patches but haven't used any yet.

However, I love the Kiwi shoe polish with mink oil but can't find it in any stores now. Is it still being sold?

I use mink oil on my boots and the dog is definitely interested, but has never chewed them. Then again she has never chewed anything else she wasn't supposed to.

rancher said:
I use mink oil on my boots and the dog is definitely interested, but has never chewed them. Then again she has never chewed anything else she wasn't supposed to.

I used the stuff on a bag I made, and my wife's dog hasn't shown any interest in chewing on it, but as with your dog, he has only chewed up one toy (other than what he's supposed to chew - the rawhide bones) and that was a little robot toy (you remember, from Space Family Robinson... the robot that kept saying "Warning, Will Robinson, danger is approaching ...) the little gadget actually had a recording of that, but the dog bit the %^*! out of it and not it's just an interesting keychain on the shelf ...

Back