• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Milkweed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wink:
I have learned about how a deer's nose knows, that sticks an strings thing ya know.
But when it comes to wind I just do like Quigley an Buffalo Bill,, and use dirt.

[youtube]kLP1s0IeIWw[/youtube]

Tried the milkweed and they worked fine until they got mushed or damp.
I switched to a puff bottle with corn starch and it works well; when I remember to put it in my pocket.

I remember reading an article years ago by a famous bowhunter who had found a small bowel area at an abandonded home site that had the best deer sign he had ever seen. He hung a stand and would only hunt it when the wind was right. But, after two years he was yet to even see a deer. The third year he took a puff bottle with him and confirmed once in stand that the wind was in his favor... that is until about ten seconds later when he saw the corn starch had done a 180 and was blowing striaght to all the deer sign. Terrain features, thermals, magjic???

Loyalist Dave said:
Hunt low ground in morning, high ground in evening.

Unless you're in Delaware...., :shocked2:

LD

Dang, I guess I'll have to post our winter place here in Florida. Our house sits on the highest ground on the whole island, a whopping 7' above sea level. :rotf:

BTW- Don't just think milkweed. Anywhere fireweed grows, it's dandy. I've seen references in a museum somewhere that cottonwood fluff was used, too.

There was someone who packaged a material, that looked like Milkweed, but it was probably some man made material. My son-in-law gave me a small plastic container, but I lost it somewhere. So, one day as I walked around the pond, I noticed the seeds, floating on the wind. I gathered a cup full and picked the seeds off, and placed a few in a small container. I drilled a hole in the lid, similar to the store bought one's and I've used them, ever since.

As you say, probably a lot of other weeds, and other ideas, that will work. To me, it's just another way of using natural materials, to have during hunting, to aide in checking the wind. Free....and it works.

I have used milkweed for making cordage more than any other use.

On a camping trip there was a small batch & the people I was with had never heard of milkweed cordage. I put a bunch in a little backwater and started striping them the next morning. Made about 2 feet of 3 strand. :shocked2: They acted like I had made a duck from a rock. LOL Anything lost for a generation or two is almost magic when you drag it back out :haha:

Back