• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Militia officers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all I hope is well. For the "average" militia unit, as much as that can be said, how did officers operate during battle? From what I understand regular army officers directed their men and their saber/sword/handgun was their armament when things got hairy. I get that swords were a way to identify your officer and see his commands during battle. However, militia officers are commonly depicted as also having muskets. Would they load and fire as they gave orders? It seems unlikely that a man would carry a fowler or musket into battle and not feel a strong urge to use it when the balls start flying. I am specifically leaning towards North Eastern/ New England militias if that makes any difference. Thanks!

I do not know anything about them but I am guessing that since it is militia that every unit was different and they acted according to their training back home which could be different training than even the county next door. Also if attached to a regular arm unit they would be directed as that officers commands.
Don't know but interesting question.

Hello all I hope is well. For the "average" militia unit, as much as that can be said, how did officers operate during battle? From what I understand regular army officers directed their men and their saber/sword/handgun was their armament when things got hairy. I get that swords were a way to identify your officer and see his commands during battle. However, militia officers are commonly depicted as also having muskets. Would they load and fire as they gave orders? It seems unlikely that a man would carry a fowler or musket into battle and not feel a strong urge to use it when the balls start flying. I am specifically leaning towards North Eastern/ New England militias if that makes any difference. Thanks!
I'd think if you're loading and shooting, you're not paying attention to the unfolding action, just sayin'.

Militia officers in Massachusetts would muster with a musket (whatever that ways, whether it was a committee of safety style piece or a fowler) with a bayonet fitted if possible in addition to a sword. They would employ these weapons as they seem fit, their primary duty obviously would be to direct their men.

As the war progressed General Washington issued orders in December of 1777 that officers were to provide themselves with a "half-spike or spear, as soon as possible" Because he thought that officers armed with muskets drew their attention away from their duties.

FWIW British officers, at least in the flank companies were armed with fusils they would purchase on their own.

Militia officers in Massachusetts would muster with a musket (whatever that ways, whether it was a committee of safety style piece or a fowler) with a bayonet fitted if possible in addition to a sword. They would employ these weapons as they seem fit, their primary duty obviously would be to direct their men.

As the war progressed General Washington issued orders in December of 1777 that officers were to provide themselves with a "half-spike or spear, as soon as possible" Because he thought that officers armed with muskets drew their attention away from their duties.

FWIW British officers, at least in the flank companies were armed with fusils they would purchase on their own.
Thank you! Very interesting. I didnt know that Washington specifically touched on the subject. Very cool.

Ever been in combat?
Yes. We only got shot at in an urban environment but couldn't shoot back because we couldn't get PID. However, I have conducted plenty of training exercises, and during dismounted live-fire exercises, I didn't fire a single shot because I was directing my guys. There's not much room for error there.

In the Civil War and earlier eras, officers were behind the lines of their men to maintain situational awareness and direct their fire and maneuver. If an officer was busy loading and firing, then he was probably defending himself from an immediate threat, and the rest of his unit was engaged in individual combat against an enemy that had just either carried out a cavalry charge and followed that up with a bayonet charge. Short of that though, an officer shouldn't have been shooting much.

Here is another question along those lines. What would the “average” militia officer’s sword generally be like? Again more generally, those from New England. I know there were countless individuals with countless levels of wealth/opportunity but aside from those who could afford or took as prize a really nice/expensive sword, what would the “average” militia officer from the “middling sort” have had? I guess my question is were these bought from a merchant already fashioned, or would the guy go to the local blacksmith? The type of New England militia officer that was your local, popular tradesman or farmer that got elected. Not the really wealthy guys. What would have been the popular styled of said swords? Length/design/shape etc. Thanks! Please ask for clarification if I worded my question in a confusing manner.

Last edited:
As Bob said , interesting question but I do not know just following to hear others . My x5 great grandfather was a Capt. in the Virginia Militia during the Rev. War , operating in Western PA and area . Very interesting .... Would love to know more ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726-224444.png
    Screenshot_20230726-224444.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 0
Here is another question along those lines. What would the “average” militia officer’s sword generally be like? Again more generally, those from New England. I know there were countless individuals with countless levels of wealth/opportunity but aside from those who could afford or took as prize a really nice/expensive sword, what would the “average” militia officer from the “middling sort” have had? I guess my question is were these bought from a merchant already fashioned, or would the guy go to the local blacksmith? The type of New England militia officer that was your local, popular tradesman or farmer that got elected. Not the really wealthy guys. What would have been the popular styled of said swords? Length/design/shape etc. Thanks! Please ask for clarification if I worded my question in a confusing manner.

Without quoting direct sources, like you said it would vary. As you know Militia officer were elected, lots of times they were farmers & land owners, merchants etc of means. Especially at the higher levels of command, they were pretty influential men. A good book that touches on life in Massachusetts directly before the war is "The Spirit of '74" But through the ranks to lieutenants, etcs I'm sure there was variety of small swords, hunting swords and cuttoes, hangers, etc.

Captain Isaac Davis of the Acton Milita Company was killed at North Bridge, the first American officer to die in the conflict. He carried a short sword:

172688927_3903553119731229_3259157166802069552_n.jpg

In my officer impression I carry an original hunting sword, 24 1/2 inches in length. Would have been fairly typical.

358822065_1325425161387423_958665753459712368_n.jpg

To satisfy your question a little further, check out the 18th Century materical culture website, they have a handful of slideshows dedicated to edged weapons:

MILITARY - Edged Weapons | 18thcmcrc

Back