• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mike brooks tutorial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregzechman

Pilgrim
Reaction score
mike brooks at one time posted a tutorial on gun building....i have not been able to find it......does anybody know where i might be able to get this....thank you greg

Mike no longer participates on this forum and has removed his tutorial. I've read on here that it's available on another forum that I am not allowed to mention. You might try Googling for it.

can I say something?
I don't know what precipitated the removal of Mike's things....but it couldn't have been that important. We all are Americans here...in fact, the VERY flintlock history here is that of 'common unity' against tyrannical nations. We would all unite an fight against foes in a minute, giving the greatest sacrifice of all, our lives. so, comments and opinions just show our personalities and flavors....
I work in the healthcare and have a lot of Hospice patients....I really wish you could go with me when I have to setup and follow thru~ In fact, Friday, I had a very nice man that was talking of his 2 weeks left....things he will miss, things left undone....he will meet his maker very soon.
Really, the ARE things worth fighting over, and there is badness and darkness that needs eliminated with 'extreme prejudiced"... the weak need to be protected.....but in my book, sitting around the campfire here, it's just semantics at most~
our days left on this mortal coil should be "say please and thankyou, open doors for the little old ladies" and enjoy the new sunrise every morning.

Come back Mike.....I miss your colors~ :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Swampy said:
The tutorial on his page is for the Carolina Trade Gun and not the one that was posted here on this site.

Swampy, my apologies, you are correct, the detailed resource is no longer available here, too bad. There are other sources:

Recreating the American Longrifle by William Buchele

and

The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle by Dixon

These two are hands down the best books on building longrifles in print today.

I have travled far and wide with Mr. Brooks, I was there when he built his first gun, I was the proud owner of no. 9 a 20 gage fowler he built for me, in the course of many, many years of travels, by foot or canoe, I have enjoyed his company around many campfires..I have no idea what happened here but I'll tell you all this, you lost a darn good member..

ah, so you think he left on his own free will?? not hardly..as i want to stay here I'll say no more..

Bear64 said:
I was the proud owner of no. 9 a 20 gage fowler he built for me, in the course of many, many years of travels, by foot or canoe, I have enjoyed his company around many campfires...

I own No. 308, a 16 bore English Folwer that is a joy to hold and shoot, and I miss Mike, too. Never camped with him, but I can't think of anyone I'd rather jaw with over a warm fire at day's end. Discuss the finer aspects of chicken raisin' and bird shootin'.

I think we had an immoveable object meet an irrestable force.

I always liked Mike. I never saw him give build information that I could disagree with.
All in all, he knows his stuff and his contributions to the forum was a great asset and is sorely missed by many.

That said, like a lot of older professionals he could be somewhat of a curmudgeon and as with many curmudgeon's he didn't mince words or pull his punches. He said what he thought without considering how it sounded (or read) to others.

I believe this was his undoing.

... but I can't think of anyone I'd rather jaw with over a warm fire at day's end.

All I can say is , he must be a more "pleasant" individual in person. I don't know what it says about any person that defends that behavior. No matter how talented the individual is. :(

ebiggs said:
All I can say is , he must be a more "pleasant" individual in person. I don't know what it says about any person that defends that behavior. No matter how talented the individual is. :(

Now, now.... :shake:

Mike is knowledgeable and a gentleman who willingly shares his knowledge with others by offering advice and tricks of the trade in which he excels. He is greatly missed and the decision to remove him should have included a few less knowledgeable "others" that egged him on thus causing the troubles. Enough said.

Zonie said:
....He said what he thought without considering how it sounded (or read) to others.
So, who has the flawed character? The messenger or the receiver?

The person who delivers their views in a direct and clear manner or the person who is insulted because they differ from their's?

I know Mike is always willing to discuss and explain his views and how he attained them....if he is approached in a manner that is not confrontational and demeaning. I think he's earned the right to be...well, MIKE!!! And I and others wouldn't have near as much respect for him if he wasn't!

???, J.D.

As far as I know Mike Brooks is still a member here.

From what I remember he was suspended for thirty days back in July. At that time the tutorial was removed during the suspension period. As someone said it was a management call.

I or we can only guess why the tutorial is not back up. Here is some thoughts...

A. The tutorial was removed during the suspension and has simply not been put back up.

B. Management felt that due to the aftermath it was a "hot potato" and should not return.

C. Since Mr.Brooks is a builder the tutorial might have been deemed " free advertisement" by some.

D. There may be something else going on we do not know or need to know such as personal matters between the parties and for the sake of "class" and "good taste" for all concerned it has been deemed better for it not to return and explain the reasons why on a internet forum.

Personally I thought the tutorial was great.

As said we do not know and maybe we really do not want to know why it was removed.

Latest posts

Back