• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carolina gun out of a pecatonica NWTG stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building from a blank seems more intimidating while a pre-carve looks half way finished. The reality is that the only difference is bulk wood removal. Pre-carves come 90% inlet with only 90% left to go. That is pretty much true. NONE of the parts are going to fit on a pre-carve. There is a hole where the lock is going to go, but the lock will not fit in it. You have to do that part. Difference with a blank is that you get to make that rough hole yourself. That is the quick and easy part. It is the fitting that takes the time. Same with the barrel and everything else. Pre-carve stocks come with a rough shape. Not a final one. You have to carve and shape every bit of the surface to final size. You cannot plan on pre-carve inlets being in the right place. Much more likely that you will have to move them around a bit. Cutting an inlet in a blank is much easier than moving a partially done inlet. The web between the barrel and ramrod is likely to be too thick. Once again you get to move a hole. With a blank you are working with a piece of wood that is squared off almost until the end. That makes a huge difference. With a pre-carve you are working with curved surfaces. Maybe they leave a few inches squared on the fore end. Maybe not.

Reshaping a pre-carve stock is likely to create a whole new set of problems. You don't need to be a super advanced woodworker to build a gun. Get some cheap maple lumber to practice with. Inlet the lock into a board. If you screw it up, do it again. When you get to the point where you can inlet a lock into a board, then inlet it into the gun. You can do that with every part.

When you know you cannot build a gun from a blank all you are doing is giving up before you even start.
But it’s so scary!! I know it shouldn’t be but man..

But it’s so scary!! I know it shouldn’t be but man..
And a colossal , long drawn out pain in the arse ! Every step of building a gun from a blank is a long drawn out PITA and has the potential to ruin the build if you screw up , esp. for a first timer ! That pre carved stock thing would be great for most folks . I encourage anyone willing to build their own but ...unless they are really dedicated , its not likely to happen or turn out well , esp. if they dont have some help or guidance from an experienced builder. I love it when people do build thought ! Its great! .Let's see .... say a NW trade gun. , go figure .... In think the stock would be around $350 for a pre carved , barrel , what $300 , lock $200 ...$850 ish , I dont know how accurate those prices are .....D@mn ! thats still expensive if you make all the other parts .... Gads !!

Last edited:
Back