• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mi muzzle loader season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunted west of Brohman in Newaygo county. I have seen lots of tracks, squirrels, and a badger, of all things, but have yet to actually see a deer during daylight hours. Dirty four-letter word (starts with w and ends with ork) has cut into hunting time, so I haven't bern out during ML season. Really wanted to try out my new-to-me TC Hawken 54 cal, too, but am having difficulty seeing the sights. Discussed that problem under another topic. Still love Michigan deer hunting.

This year in Michigan the deer population is way way down, the worst I can recall. I shot this doe the 2nd day of ML season with my .62cal Jager. I'm hunting in the middle of the state in farm country.

00small28204070.JPG

We've hunted a total of about 5 days on state land in the Thumb area, and I haven't seen even one deer while actually hunting. We've seen a few while driving to our hunting places, but even that number is down from previous years. Oddly enough, we have encountered game wardens on two separate occasions. Nothing wrong with that, but the last time I saw a DNR officer was 2003. The DNR guys told us that few hunters were taking deer, which just confirmed what we already knew. Most are blaming the winter kill from 2012-13.

Then the DNR say the numbers are down cause we had snow for the opener, sounds like they are trying to blame every thing but the real cause .
what about all the deer seasons prior we had now for long as i can remember and we always seen more and got more than this mess we have now. It just sounds like if they say the hunting sucks , hunters will not buy their licences and they will have less money to have all their toys(new trucks, atv, boats, high tech equipment,etc)

Hunted west of Brohman in Newaygo county.
We're not hunting too far from each other. I'm SW of White Cloud a few miles, in farm country.

I have not been out yet this ml season, much like last year. This year, I'm running like crazy as my son is in high school and joined the wrestling team, not to mention it's close to Christmas and shopping has to get done (from what I'm told). Last year, I lost both a very good friend and then my brother-in-law. I have my friend's home built rifle that he wanted my to convert back to cap lock for his kids to use.

The numbers seem down, but the snow was covered with tracks every morning. I think they've patterned us :doh:

I hunt Crawford/Kalkaska county and was out every day of m/l season this year. I saw deer every day except one, but only one buck and he was a small spike.
This is all woods hunting. Most guys are hunting over bait or up in the oaks. Most of the activity seems to be between 11:00 pm and 5:00 am. on the bait piles. The deer I have seen in the oaks look like they eat and bed down right there.
I just can't figure out why there are tons of does everywhere, but no bucks, even on the game cameras? Maybe it's just me :idunno:

"Patterned us"...yep. Last weekend of regular firearms season in the Brohman area there were tracks everywhere, I mean every where, yet we saw nothing. Ran some two-man drives, still nothing. I have 15 wooded acres in a landlocked section in Muskegon county and can't even find a track...except for the trucks going around my gate, so I'm looking forward to small game hunting and hard-water fishing. Beginning to like the idea of a 32 or 36 cal small game muzzle loader for late season squirrels. That might be as much fun as a successful deer hunt.

Is your property in the rolling oaks areas of Muskegon county? I'm familiar with a few spots around there (but never drove around a gate to do it! LOL) Low densities every spot I've hunted around there. Good places to get a nice walk in looking for the tree rats though.

In Fruitland Township, a couple of miles from the Lake Michigan shore. Pretty flat, mostly oaks and pines. Had it selectively cut last winter/early spring, but almost all the White Oaks are still there. Plenty of acorns, lots of turkey tracks, but the deer are scarce.

The last day of the ML season is tomorrow the 21st. Then on the 22nd the late firearm doe season kicks in on privet land, how the can justify that is beyond me :idunno: I suspect they want the license sales.

Certain areas have more/less than others of course, but I've known hunters to buy them and not use them, trying to get herds to increase.

Well the muzzleloading deer season is done in Michigan now, I have all my tags left and had no luck, JUST HOPE NEXT YEAR IS BETTER FOR ALL US....

I have a sneaky feeling there are going to be less hunter next year,,

10 Point, you have my sympathy, but you are not alone. I had eight deer, including two bucks, at my back yard feeder this morning but I won't be able to hunt, this year, because of health issues. One of them was a really nice six point that would weigh over 200 pounds. When I lived in North Central Indiana, I used to fish the salmon runs, in the St. Joseph River, at Berian Springs. We fished below the dam, in front of the fish ladders. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
MINDEN CITY Swamp by chance
Jaeger said:
We've hunted a total of about 5 days on state land in the Thumb area, and I haven't seen even one deer while actually hunting. We've seen a few while driving to our hunting places, but even that number is down from previous years. Oddly enough, we have encountered game wardens on two separate occasions. Nothing wrong with that, but the last time I saw a DNR officer was 2003. The DNR guys told us that few hunters were taking deer, which just confirmed what we already knew. Most are blaming the winter kill from 2012-13.

Latest posts

Back