• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Muzzleloader Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our season opened last Saturday here in Virginia. Been out with the Hawken and have not even seen a deer yet. Not even a doe. I do know that one little buck was taken out of this area on Saturday. Truth be told, I have been enjoying Grouse hunting. I found a new cover that has been pretty productive. I took today off to deal with some neck pain after re-aggravating a pinched nerve. Be back at tomorrow.

Attachments

• Hunt20231.jpg
    Hunt20231.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Hunt20232.jpg
    Hunt20232.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 0
I now enjoy small game more than deer hunting. It's leisurely...just a nice walk in the woods. I almost always see game and get one or two for the pot. Not as much work dragging, cleaning, cutting, and packaging. A great "gentleman's" hunt! In addition, in late season I have the woods all to myself.

A very good friend whom I have deer hunted with for while now got into bp hunting with a flint a few years back. Before that he hunted with- gasp! An inline…..the horror
All joking aside he said to me as we walked out of the woods one day, theres something about carrying a flintlock in the forest that os really cool.
Too true

Taking a deer with something other than black powder just has no appeal to me. I hunt with my Hawken, sometimes with a BPCR during regular firearms season. I don't think I have carried my unmentionable .32 Winchester Special in the woods in over 30 years.

Back