• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maximum twist on muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello friends of black powder.
I would like to get information.
What is the maximum torque I can have on a muzzleloader?
no sabots, just paper patched bullets.
would anyone know the answer?

977 grains, solid lead bullet. Rifle weighs 35 pounds. Pictured next to 45 ACP cartridge.

Attachments

• 20200525_205744.jpg
    20200525_205744.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 0
977 grains, solid lead bullet. Rifle weighs 35 pounds. Pictured next to 45 ACP cartridge.
977 grains = cannonball.
35 pound rifle...yes,yes,yes...this is definitely a cannon...kkkk!!!
would love to see the gun and a grouping over 100 yards
Tell me more, I'm finding it very interesting!

977 grains = cannonball.
35 pound rifle...yes,yes,yes...this is definitely a cannon...kkkk!!!
would love to see the gun and a grouping over 100 yards
Tell me more, I'm finding it very interesting!
I've posted these before but hey here you go! The rifle was built by H.V. Perry in 1885 , 9x scope. The target is from a match I shot at 40 rods (220 yards) at Canal Fulton OH. Not a great group but it scored well. If you click on the photo with at the bench you can watch it go BOOM! Lots of recoil, and look at the flame at the muzzle!

Attachments

• 20220702_161906.jpg
    20220702_161906.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220702_145349.jpg
    20220702_145349.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220702_144339.mp4
    25.9 MB
I've posted these before but hey here you go! The rifle was built by H.V. Perry in 1885 , 9x scope. The target is from a match I shot at 40 rods (220 yards) at Canal Fulton OH. Not a great group but it scored well. If you click on the photo with at the bench you can watch it go BOOM! Lots of recoil, and look at the flame at the muzzle!
The side percussion is interesting, it reminded me of the underhammer.
the barrel is a monster and I thought it was short...the color looks like bronze.
I thought the group was very good, congratulations!
I have a barrel with a wall thickness of 8mm, cal .62 with 1 meter... it would make a good cannon like yours.
But the fast torsion issue is that I have a barrel with 1:20 cal .36 torsion and I wanted to know if it was possible to use it in muzzleloaders. I think so and you?

I just purchased a TC Scout pistol that has a 1-20 twist rate. TC used to also make a Scout rifle with the same twist. I haven't shot my gun yet but I assume it will be more accurate with bullets than round ball. My gun is 54 caliber but they were made in 45-50 and 54 caliber.

I just purchased a TC Scout pistol that has a 1-20 twist rate. TC used to also make a Scout rifle with the same twist. I haven't shot my gun yet but I assume it will be more accurate with bullets than round ball. My gun is 54 caliber but they were made in 45-50 and 54 caliber.
I read somewhere that roundball only work with a twist of 1:48 or more.
I don't know if it's real.

Lots of hoohaw and other stuff regarding rifling twist and such. A great book to read regarding such things is The Bullets Flight by F.W. Mann.

hello friends of black powder.
I would like to get information.
What is the maximum torque I can have on a muzzleloader?
no sabots, just paper patched bullets.
would anyone know the answer?
My Renegade has a Rice 1-17 twist barrel for shooting long (700 yds) baco 443PP Elliptical
530 gr/1=-20 and 1-16 all paper patched/Ed

Back