• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lymans, Cabelas and others

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The Great Plains Rifle and Cabelas Hawken are made by the same company. The Lyman Trade Rifle and Deerstalker look alot like the Cabelas. Are they basically the same rifles?
Who does make them? Does anyone else sell any of these rifles under a different name? And, last, but not least does there seem to be any difference in quality between any of them? :hmm:
Thanks.

I can't remember who makes them but they are turned out to certain company specs and are good rifles by and large. Lymans are a cut above many of the imports and I've always had good luck with Cabela's rifles. Don't forget that Pedersoli probably has the most advanced firearms manufacturing facility in the world for its cartridge replicas. The concept of "Cheap" foreign imports applies only to the specs that are ordered for American markets. The Italians, Spanish, and other European companies are capable of manufacturing some of the finest rifles and shotguns in the world. Just look at the CZ cartridge rifles that are coming on the market from the old communist block. For the money they are really excellent rifles and every bit the equal of many American manufacturers' products.

They are made by Investarms. They are all good rifles, with the Great Plains being the best as far as authentic looking. The difference between the Cabela's Hawken and the Lyman Trade guns is the Cabela's has a set trigger and the Trade gun doesn't. Other than that, they are basically the same gun.

I wasn't saying anything against there quality. I have heard good things about all of them. And, sometimes not so good things, but I have heard the same about many American made products.

I assume the Cabela's hunter rifle and carbine are also by Investarms and the Deerstalker being essentially the same gun. Is there any difference in fit and finish between importers?

The Cabela's Hunter models are the ones with a rubber recoil pad and checkering on the stock. They also have chrome lined bores, which may or may not be a good thing. I bought one of them in .54 cal a few years back. Never could get it to shoot very well. The first shot out of a clean barrel was always WAY off. I know it is normal for the first shot to be a little out of the main group, but this was so bad it wouldn't even hit on a large apple box at 50 yds when the target was stapled in the center. They are still made by Investarms though as far as i know. The fit and finish on the Cabela's guns is quite good normally. They are a good gun for the money, but i would go with their Traditional Hawken instead of the Hunter. JMO

Cabelas "sporsterized" Hawkin is the one Rebel spoke of,, the :"carbine" model and the "hawkin" are different twists!

Cabelas Hawkin models are all made buy Lyman/investarms, they have the same coil-spring lock as the Lyman GPR/H.. The barrels are all Italian made. The only differance is barrel length, 1-28, 1-32 twist, 1-48 or 1-60" twist rates. The Lymann "Deersalker" has an iron bore, the Cabelas "sporterized" has a nickle plated bore.

Nun of the Cabelas,,nor T/C, nor the Lyman GPR/H look like anything made to represent historically made firearms. If anyone buys any of the abouve firearms,,rest ashured it will shoot well if you do your part..All of the advise given on this forum or others will do you no good if you don't participate in "shooting your gun",,ain't no "magic" with bp arms,,ya gotta shoot it,

sumtakcs says:"All of the advise given on this forum or others will do you no good if you don't participate in "shooting your gun",,ain't no "magic" with bp arms,,ya gotta shoot it,"
No kiddin'? You actually gotta burn some powder?
Wow! What a revalation.

I am a firm believer in running 100 rounds through a muzzleloader before hunting season. You learn the gun, it's faults, break in the rifling, and keep projectile/powder/percussion cap companies in business so I can get my free samples. ::

you'd be surprised maxi how many new bp shooters think it's all just like centerfire,or how many new shooters say "but the sales guy said"!. Go to the local range,shoot with others,,talk with real folks sumtyme. Look at the very questions and answers here. we got a guy say's cap's are getting stuck,,and folks are tellin him too bend the hammer! Now I gotta tell ya,,those two issues alone are worlds apart.
Load development for bp arms for the average feller is how he becomes proficiant,not only as a shooter but as a sportsmen as well. I don't know what in-lines are all about,,but,whore writers for sports rag's sure make it easy don't they

I think we have to understand a few things along with the ability and experience of the person who asks the question. Because this is the enter net its real hard to tell what a person has or has not done or what the gun looks like.
Few points here.
A miss aligned hammer can cause stuck caps as dose many other things like swelled nipples, bad nipple, week main spring, fouled hammer, bad caps, old caps, wrong sized caps miss aligned drums.

Now I have seen bad hammers, twisted hammers, bent sights, broken sites, cracked stocks ,bent triggers, week main springs, broken main springs , bad frizzens miss aligned drums, set triggers missing a spring, locks with broke sear springs, tumblers, bridles, no temper in tumblers, no flies and weak barrels

Back