• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LYMAN MUZZLELOADER RECALL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is good to see Lyman stepping forward to correct whatever problem it is. I know it hurts business, but I have always liked their products. I sometimes wonder about other manufacturers who just stand silent, or declare bankruptcy.

Well manure. My GPR I got in January is part of the recall. I'll be receiving a new barrel mid to late April! Good thing I only had about 30 balls down the barrel, now I gotta start the break in process all over again!

You bought yours just a few months after I bought mine! It took me several trips to the range to get mine sited in, but I enjoyed those trips, so I'm not going to complain about having to do it again. :wink:

Related--I replaced my factory sites with Lyman brand fiber optics. I know... it's not even close to "period" now, but I'm using this mainly to hunt with and am not doing any reenactments with this gun.

Anyway--I'll be removing those sites prior to returning the barrel, and I was told that I'll receive a naked barrel in return (no sites). Just sharing this info with everyone. I suspect that if you send them your barrel with the factory sites, they will send you a new barrel with your own factory sites re-installed, or a new set of factory sites. BUT... you may want to verify that when the time comes?

Just a guess but mine would be, the reason Lyman isn't doing the repair is a matter of manpower, warranty and liability.

It would take several men to remove the old breech plugs and replace them on several thousand barrels and their pay would come out of Lyman's pocket.

The factory that made them is responsible for the defective barrels so by rights they should warrant the fix by replacing the barrels.

Also, if Lyman did the repair work, Lyman would be responsible for their integrity, so if anything went wrong with the repaired barrels, Lyman would be liable for any damage that might be done.
In the case of death or severe injury (like the loss of one or both of the shooters eyes) that could easily cost millions of dollars.

THBailey said:
Just scratching my head here, and probably showing my ignorance of how these things go together, but if it is the plugs that are bad, why replace the whole assembly? Why not swap out the plugs?
The whole barrel assy is replaced primarily due to the SERIAL NUMBER. That is the only way they have any degree of control over what gets done or not.

Zonie also raises some good thoughts about the labor that does it, but in the end Lyman wants to be sure that those s/n's between that range ... get fixed.

If the arm was produced by Lyman, sure - they could do it themselves, to the barrel as sent it. But I'd bet they'd still mark it or identify it 'uniquely' as one that had been repaired.

THBailey said:
Why not swap out the plugs
Well it's simple.
Nobody including Lyman has said it's just the plugs.
They actually want the return of barrel and tang.
It's available to read if you look'
Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barrel and tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes.

So,, do you have specific information about the breech plugs of the Lyman recall or other injuries/damages that could be shared that we should know about?

I'm one of the guys in line for a replacement barrel. Wondering if anyone on this forum has received their shipping box from Lyman yet?

I was told by Lyman that it'll be a while until they get the shipping boxes in, and then another wait after they receive my barrel for the replacement barrels to arrive.

Patience has never been one of my virtues!

Around Mid March on the box to be sent out , end of April will be the start time for the barrels, so I figure by the end of May I may have a barrel back :metoo:

I was wondering why all the Lyman firearms were out of stock... :hmm:

Guess I'll wait a while to buy a flintlock kit.

Not completely out of stock. I was able to find a new in box .50-cal percussion Great Plains Rifle on Gunbroker with a serial number about 400 before the recall. However, it took me several weeks of searching to find it. There is definitely a dearth of Great Plains Rifles right now. I had been planning to purchase a new one for about 6 months, and of course I waited just long enough for the recall to come about. But, I got lucky. :)

Got my shipping tube in the mail today and the old barrel and tang are on there way back to Lyman.
Now to see how long before I get a new one back.

I sent mine back-saw it was signed for so I called customer service as to a return time. 2-4 MONTHS!!! No Bueno. I sent an email and will be following up

Got a shipping notice from Lyman that the replacement barrel is on the way back today.
A lot faster then I was expecting. 30 days.
:bow:

Latest posts

Back