• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LYMAN MUZZLELOADER RECALL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing against Midsouth...It's just that there are a lot of scams going around these days and given recent events, this could have been a prime opportunity.

In hindsight Midsouth deserves a big kudos for getting the word out, since Lyman and Investams have been less affective. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I always wonder about pictures of failures that have no apparent powder fouling on the metal.

bubba.50 said:
Zonie said:
I agree.

The phone number in my original post was copied from another forum where the recall was posted.

The phone number in that post was different than the phone number in the official Lyman site. That's why I changed it.

The thought occured to me, a really simple way of stealing a bunch of Lyman muzzleloaders would be to create a false recall and post your own phone number. Then, when someone called, you could send him/her a box with your shipping address on it.
Walla! Boxes of rifles and pistols for only the cost of shipping.

The main reason I think this recall might be real is the post on our forum that described exactly the kind of failure the recall addresses.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...93/post/1668009/fromsearch/1/#1668009[/quote]

yeah, Midsouth is such a disreputable company I imagine this is just an elaborate scheme for them to scam a bunch of people out of their Lyman guns. :doh: Good Grief!

Occam's Razor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps from now on , Lyman will look into the quality control problems on the rifles that they purchase from Investarms .
The fact that Lyman endangers their customers in this way is scandalous .
There are other areas of their guns [ but admittedly not so potentially dangerous ] that show a lack of care in manufacture .
It's time for them to wake up and put their house in order .

My TC barrels and my Lyman barrel all have a patent breech and even though the Lyman barrels do not fall with the serial sequence I am a little bit nervous about a patent breech system at all. I have a breech plug that I ordered from Track to convert a GM barrel to flint from percussion and am starting to think strongly against it now.

Just the thought of having one fail is enough to make me stop shooting for at least a little while.

According to the Lyman recall notice the guns made prior to serial number A595960 are safe to fire. That serial number translates to a manufacture date of 1 March, 2017. What changed on that date.

IMO: The broken breech plug seems to be a poor quality casting.

A gent on another website says the breech plug was over torqued. i tend to agree with him.

Colorado Clyde said:
I think the other half of the breech was posted in a different thread and did show fouling.

Sr.Chief posted the following picture in the Lyman Question thread. Sgiles had a Lyman with a failure of this description and he has already returned his rifle to Lyman.

40140206491_304d0973df.jpg

Looks like there's fouling in this picture.

Glad to see the dates in question.
One of my GPR's is a .40 caliber with a 16" twist. Been threatening to have it rebored to a slower twist for paper patched revolver molds and .41 round ball.
:hmm: This little episode just might push me into making that decision.

According to the Lyman recall notice the guns made prior to serial number A595960 are safe to fire. That serial number translates to a manufacture date of 1 March, 2017. What changed on that date.

Most likely, the dates quoted in the recall notice begin a little before a batch of new castings were received from a casting company.

Castings are ordered, several thousand at a time. As they are used and the number on hand dwindles, the maker will order another batch of castings.
In the jet engine world, we called each of these batches of castings a "lot".

It's fairly easy to determine when a "lot" of castings arrive and went into production. It is more difficult to determine when the last castings from a "lot" are totally used up and often there is a intermixing of older and newer casting lots towards the end of production.

For that reason, in an attempt to get all of the problem castings, usually the ending date or last serial number selected for a recall greatly overlaps the time when the last casting has found its way into the production cycle.

In this case, it does look like a casting problem.

There can be any number of reasons something like this can happen.
The casting supplier might have used the wrong alloy, the wrong pouring temperature, or changed his procedure.

Another possibility is a new casting company may have bid the job and been selected to produce these parts.
Often, different casting companies will change the way the patterns are gated to feed the molten metal into the mold cavity and this can effect the final quality.

I think Lyman and Interarms (who must have agreed to the recall) did right in issuing the recall.
It's only too bad they didn't get the word out as effectively as some of the companies that sell the guns.

Zonie said:
I think Lyman and Interarms (who must have agreed to the recall) did right in issuing the recall.
Correction ... it is Investarms who makes the BP rifles for
Lyman ... Cabelas, and under their own brand name (througg Dixie).

No word yet ... as I have seen anyway, if any other brand is affected. No word on Investarms website either, so I emailed them, as I have one of their name branded model 150s in 54-cal.
http://www.investarm.com/eng-avancarica.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the threaded shank of the breech plug failed right where the threads inside the breech of the barrel started.

I have re-breeched/breeched a few barrels including TC's and wondered about the breech strength for years. This failure looks like it occurred right about where there are no barrel wall threads to contact with the shank threads to shore up the strength.

zimmerstutzen said:
This failure looks like it occurred right about where there are no barrel wall threads to contact with the shank threads to shore up the strength.
FWIW when I worked at GE Aircraft Engines we had tons of data that proved a thread form holds best/tighest, when the bottom-most or threads furthest from the fastener head (breech plug in this case) are the ones holding.

From the pictures I have seen, this a fracture of the cast body due to poor cast quality, heat treat and/or over-torquing.

I just called Lyman today and got the official word as well. Not all barrels in that serial number range are affected, but mine is. They'll be sending me a box to return my current barrel in 3-4 weeks, then another 3-4 months later I'll get a replacement barrel.

That's a pretty long turn around time, but they don't have the replacement barrels yet, so I guess that's just what it is. I hope they are planning some sort of failure testing on a sample of the replacement barrels...

Guess I'll be getting my "muzzleloading fix" on this forum, and in making my next hunter's bag.

Your right.

It's Investarms, not Interarms that makes the guns. :redface:

Revising my comment a bit, Investarms would have needed to agree with the recall and as noted by others, it will take a while for them to make the replacement barrel assemblies and get them shipped to the U.S.

Saw a copy of a guys email from Lyman and they will start to send the return boxes out mid March and they think the new barrels will be coming in the end of April and Lyman will start shipping then.

I am not sure how Investarms production facilities work. Some companies tool up for a run to fill orders or anticipated orders and then tool for other products for a while. Investarms may have produced a run for Lyman and might have finished their production for Cabelas before the questionable breech problem arose. They also make modern cartridge guns. So they may have been making runs of those for part of those months. Don't know what other companies they may produce for.

Latest posts

Back