• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to buy oil if your just at the range, you can just spit down your barrel.
Chewing gum or chewing tobacco can help produce a lot of spit
😂
The lube is in tiny amounts just on the patch
Assuming this isn’t just a little joke, you pour your powder in to a dry bore and the ball is wrapped in a greased or oiled patch. You can use spit if your shooting right away. You just dampen the patch work saliva and run it down the bore wrapped around your ball.
If your shooting a conical there is no patch but a hard lubricant in the groves of the conical. Some suggest in a hollow base to fill the hollow too.

When lubing patch material does one pour oil down the barrel on top of charge then push patch down or should you push patch down then por powder down the barrel then seat ball.
NO! That would only make a mess. Lots of methods others will discuss. Mine is to take a large piece of the washed patch material I intened to use (ticking), lay it out on a flat surface the rub with my lube. Currenly, my lube is beeswax and whale oil. A good alternative is beeswax and jojoba oil. Lesser, but still good choice can be a lot of animal source oils like whale; bear; beef/bison/sheep/tallow, etc. straight or mixed with beeswax. Lube the material, tear into useful sizes and store in plastic baggies. That is how the original mountain men did it. 😉

NO! That would only make a mess. Lots of methods others will discuss. Mine is to take a large piece of the washed patch material I intened to use (ticking), lay it out on a flat surface the rub with my lube. Currenly, my lube is beeswax and whale oil. A good alternative is beeswax and jojoba oil. Lesser, but still good choice can be a lot of animal source oils like whale; bear; beef/bison/sheep/tallow, etc. straight or mixed with beeswax. Lube the material, tear into useful sizes and store in plastic baggies. That is how the original mountain men did it. 😉
did original mountain men have plastic baggies?

This asked by a member who has been with us since 2007! Flintlock, you aren't by chance kicking back and having a hearty chuckle? 😀

I only asked because of after using olive oil for years it has been mentioned several times that olive oil with run into my powder and ruin powder charge. I often leave my rifles loaded for a month at a time before firing but have realized now that my lubing and squeezing out the excess must be all wrong and there must be a right way to do this. Or many that reply to posts really have no idea what they are talking about.

Olive oil when old or rancid, gets sticky and nasty. OO, bore butter, anything with beeswax, I avoid. Nasty stuff to clean up. Jojoba oil gets super sticky as well.

Olive oil when old or rancid, gets sticky and nasty. OO, bore butter, anything with beeswax, I avoid. Nasty stuff to clean up. Jojoba oil gets super sticky as well.
I've kept this bottle in the house for possibly three years now and still lubing patches and wiping down guns and leather gear with it, very cheap, peried correct, safe as well as very cheap.

I've kept this bottle in the house for possibly three years now and still lubing patches and wiping down guns and leather gear with it, very cheap, peried correct, safe as well as very cheap.
Wasn’t cheap in the 17 and 18 hundreds. Imported yes but a rich man’s cooking and salad dressing oil. Average Joe probably didn’t buy it to lube rifle patches.

Wasn’t cheap in the 17 and 18 hundreds. Imported yes but a rich man’s cooking and salad dressing oil. Average Joe probably didn’t buy it to lube rifle patches.
Yep but they didn't have Balistol, Moose Milk or any of the modern synthetic oils on the market now either so thats kind of a mute point.

Last edited:
Back