• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loving my smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The more i shoot my smoothbores the more i love them. currently i only own 4, 2 pedersoli sxs 12 gauges and 2 CVA sxs 12 gauges. all of them are unique and each likes its own loads all of these i bought off men on this forumn.
my origional thought last year was i wanted something that shot a .690 ball at close range to back me up when im going into the thickets after big hogs. my first CVA came to me a beautiful smoothbore i first tried to get the shot cards to no avail so i measured the bore .695 .697 so looks like i have extra full or full. there was no way i could get a .690 ball and a .010 patch down so left her alone, i got my next 3 all were cylander bore. finally i got all 3 to shoot .690 roundballs decent one of them i just use the right barrel and i load a buck and ball load. the other 2 smoothbores ive got to where they will shoot to within 2 inches of each other. on my other cva both take different thickness of patches. My other Pedersoli is my best smoothbore with roundballs. generally my loads are 80 gr 2F Goex .690 rb and either a .015 patch or .010. i use 2 felt wonderwads over the powder and i put a shot card on top of the roundball. ive done this to help keep the oppositte barrel and roundball to not creep forward. So far when i checked them after i shoot i take the cap off the opposit barrel and make sure my ramrod mark lines up.
the only thing im having issues with is the right barrel sending cap debri into my forarm. yes im a lefty. i think i should get some flashcups but not sure what size.
last year hunting doves i was horrible. this year i got 2 limits of dove and enough squirrels to fill my possesion limit. for the type of hunter i am the only muzzleloader i need is one of my sxs 12 gauges

I owned a Pedersoli sxs 12 ga for years and it was top notch in every way. It now belongs to a friend. My only one is a 20 ga Flintlock which I like a great deal. It performs excellency with ball and shot.

Had a CVA double, sold it as I just didn’t use it, a few years later got a cut off Brown Bess, enjoyed shooting it but never hunted with it or tried to get any accurate shooting, it was all toy. It got stolen.
It was ten years before I got another smoothie. It was a joke of a gun, a Japanese import with a two piece barrel, all mismatched parts. Shot great, took my first smoothie deer with it in ‘85.
Bought a centermark in ‘94 since then rifles have just not been as much fun.
Took a deer this last weekend with a 28 bore smooth rifle roughly Lancaster style.
Just hard to beat how much fun a smoothie is.

Latest posts

Back