• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

load-thru 50caliber funnel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genes0504

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking unsuccesfully so far for a metal funnel so I can load my 50 caliber powder and BULLET loads through since I have a muzzlebrake. Somebody on this site must have a 50 caliber rifle with a muzzlebrake that uses a funnel in which a bullet can be placed into the muzzle of their rifle. An image was sent me of a funnel, but I have received no answer back from the manufacturer. Well meaning people have given me suggestions already which have not panned out. The I.D. of my muzzlebrake is .5450

Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Hello,
I am looking unsuccesfully so far for a metal funnel so I can load my 50 caliber powder and BULLET loads through since I have a muzzlebrake. Somebody on this site must have a 50 caliber rifle with a muzzlebrake that uses a funnel in which a bullet can be placed into the muzzle of their rifle. An image was sent me of a funnel, but I have received no answer back from the manufacturer. Well meaning people have given me suggestions already which have not panned out. The I.D. of my muzzlebrake is .5450

The wall thickness of the ‘funnel’ you are looking for would need to be less that .022”, and likely very fragile. The traditional approach to what you may be looking for is a false muzzle made specifically for your gun’s muzzle.

You could also increase the ID of your muzzle brake to match the OD of a funnel that has an ID that works with your 50 caliber bullets.

I have made funnels out of K&S tubing and brass sheet. Make it out of paper first. Use the pattern to solder up the cone and tube. You could add a piece of brass tubing on a plastic funnel. Ace hardware has the tubing and sheet brass.

This begs the question................what is the purpose of a brake on a muzzleloader? Is it for the quick second shot? Seriously is has no purpose. It only serves to increase the noise. It is not "cool looking". Remove it by any means necessary.

The OP is new here, sorry to bag on him, I could not stop myself.

what is the purpose of a brake on a muzzleloader
It certainly is not,
Screenshot_20240207_201907.jpg

I'd be surprised if said "muzzleloader" is a sidelock,,, or has any other traditional attributes for that matter.

I have made funnels out of K&S tubing and brass sheet. Make it out of paper first. Use the pattern to solder up the cone and tube. You could add a piece of brass tubing on a plastic funnel. Ace hardware has the tubing and sheet brass.

This begs the question................what is the purpose of a brake on a muzzleloader? Is it for the quick second shot? Seriously is has no purpose. It only serves to increase the noise. It is not "cool looking". Remove it by any means necessary.

Did a quick google, seems they can help disperse the smoke.
Hello,

This site has .50cal brakes and funnels.

Are you shooting an inline?

The OP was about a funnel that would work with a muzzle brake with no mention of an ‘in-line’, so why do you want to discuss them?
1) I wasn't the first to question it; 2) didn't say I wanted to *discuss* it, just asking if it was, because I cannot imagine a traditional gun with one.

Maybe you should let the OP answer and see where the conversation goes before jumping on someone.

Seems the jumping already occurred. Thought the OP was tactful with their post.
Nope, just seeking clarification so we can either help him or inform him, but feel free to dogpile.

To the OP, who may not wish to comment further, this forum is for traditional muzzleloaders. We do not discuss modern inlines here, and it's not clear what your gun is, hence my asking.

OK Folks,

I have an inline muzzleloader, am planning on shooting BH209 with Fury 325 gr. bullets. I failed to note the site that had a50 caliber funnel.

OK Folks,

I have an #$%7%$# muzzleloader, am planning on shooting BH209 with Fury 325 gr. bullets. I failed to note the site that had a50 caliber funnel.

Oh no! He said the "i" word!!! Where are the forum police?

Please redirect your question to "ModernMuzzleloader" dot com.

We'll tolerate this "indiscretion" as long as you say three "Hail NRAs and NMLRAs" and support the 2nd Amendment.

Old No7

Hello,

gosh dang. i didnt know u could put a muzzlebrake on a barrel of a muzzleloader. hey would it upset you if i may ask for a picture would love to see one. im being serious and asking with respect thank you

im curious about this. never seen that before.

1) I wasn't the first to question it; 2) didn't say I wanted to *discuss* it, just asking if it was, because I cannot imagine a traditional gun with one.

Maybe you should let the OP answer and see where the conversation goes before jumping on someone.
i never seen one on traditional sidelock. like to see it. aint going get one because honestly. wouldnt u have to get a longer ram rod? just asking. because i dont know

Nope, just seeking clarification so we can either help him or inform him, but feel free to dogpile.

To the OP, who may not wish to comment further, this forum is for traditional muzzleloaders. We do not discuss modern inlines here, and it's not clear what your gun is, hence my asking.
sorry for posting. should have read everything first. didnt know it was inline. sorry to all. my apology

i never seen one on traditional sidelock. like to see it. aint going get one because honestly. wouldnt u have to get a longer ram rod? just asking. because i dont know
I have seen a ‘ported’ traditional muzzleloader, an original Ohio half stock that someone I worked with had. He saw me working on an 1895 Marlin I was plugging the ports on and told me about the gun which he subsequently showed me. Don’t know when the half dozen or ports were added to the flats at the muzzle, but they appeared to have been there for quite some time. He had also modified a couple of TCs with similar ports that he was quite proud of. Family tradition I guess. Personally found the ‘ports’ on my 4570 Marlin quite deafening with the muzzle blast they generated, the reason I was plugging them. Could not find a photograph of the original Ohio gun, and the gentleman that owned the gun, a very vocal anti vax guy, didn’t survive his bout with Covid, so no opportunity to follow up with him for updated photographs.

I have seen a ‘ported’ traditional muzzleloader, an original Ohio half stock that someone I worked with had. He saw me working on an 1895 Marlin I was plugging the ports on and told me about the gun which he subsequently showed me. Don’t know when the half dozen or ports were added to the flats at the muzzle, but they appeared to have been there for quite some time. He had also modified a couple of TCs with similar ports that he was quite proud of. Family tradition I guess. Personally found the ‘ports’ on my 4570 Marlin quite deafening with the muzzle blast they generated, the reason I was plugging them. Could not find a photograph of the original Ohio gun, and the gentleman that owned the gun, a very vocal anti vax guy, didn’t survive his bout with Covid, so no opportunity to follow up with him for updated photographs.
Thank you for replying. Bet it was loud. Was just thinking. Bet the smoke off that muzzleloader would be a sight to behold.

Latest posts

Back