• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liquid lube or grease patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Tracks Mink oil lube for years and had no complaints with it. I swab every shot though even when hunting.

Lately I have been using Hoppe's #9 BP lube wet in warm weather and dunk and air dry patches for the winter season. The dry lubed patch works great for me and it's no mess/no freeze. I have not tried it for long shot strings at the range yet though. At the range using it wet hasn't caused any ignition problems.

Some barrels like paste lube and some don't. My TC PA Hunter barrel hates a lot of lube of any kind and shoots best with only a thin amount of lube on the powder side.

Both. I'll use a wet lube and lightly wring out the excess. For hunting, I'll switch over to a good lube that keeps fouling soft and better, keeps rust out of my bores.

When it comes to accuracy you can take 2 rifles that use the same components and each rifle most likely will like a different load.

You just have to play with the variables and see how it works for you.

Fleener

juice jaws said:
They feel grease may cause fires.
I see your out west.
It's unfortunate that this shoot you mention is being run by folks with olde school notions.
Lube is lube.
The folks out there are predominately the spit patch and blow down the barrel kind.
The fact is that its the amount of lube and type of fabric that can lend a patch to smoldering after the shot, not liquid vs solid lube.
But if they're set in their ways and running the show, there's little you can do.
A myth or idea like that can be stubbornly handed down for generations.
Nothing wrong with spit patch, works very well.
But some folks are like "I'm not going to use spit, I'm not putting that in my mouth! "icky"!
So they have to use spray bottles or eye droppers or whatever to apply some kind of liquid.
But sounds like you have a group that is using their authority to force their preference/ideals on everyone.

I have seen both types of patches burn. But we do have a very real fire danger in summer and fall in the foothills of Calif. I use split, and during fire season(about 7 months long) am very careful where I shoot.

Coconino county often restricts firing any firearm (outside of legal hunting, which they cannot stop per game and fish) for several weeks prior to our monsoons arriving. I guess a .22 might spark off a rock 1 out of 1,000,000 times and start a forest fire :idunno:

Fires here in late spring can go from 0-250,000 acres in a matter of days. I imagine I'd need a good bail fund to get out if they caught me shooting with BP!

Most of the events I attend in Central Cal specify liquid lube. Aside from the fire issue, when it's hot here it's dry. Not uncommon to be 95* and 10% humidity.

Because of that I use a liquid lube like Simple Green. If not, I can only manage to get a couple shots off without swabbing. The water lube lets me shoot and shoot.

I'm not far from Yosemite so I hope to see ya at one of the Rendezvous.

GW

juice jaws said:
I have seen both types of patches burn.
Yup, me too. I have seen grass fires started more than once from smoldering patches.
You should share that info with the guy's running the shoot that think "grease" patches start fires and liquid ones don't.
Maybe if you convince them liquid lube patches start fires too, they can have a "no shooting with any patches" shoot.

Fire is real out here, last year 50 miles from my place a tree fell on the powder lines and in 48 hours over 400 homes burn up and 3 people die. So you can not blame people from being over careful.

Hey, you have yourself stated that you have seen spit patches (liquid lube) smolder.
I have seen all manner of lubes used,, smolder.
I understand being careful, we have range fires here too.
I'm just trying to make the point that the powers that be, making the decision to not use grease patch lube to avoid fires is perhaps the wrong solution to the problem.

To your original question;
What is the different between liquid lube and grease patches?
I tried to answer, nothing, lube is lube, it's the manner the lube is used that's the variable.

The only time i found something smoldering was a log I was resting my rifle on. The powder that shot out towards the end, fell down into the cracks of the rotten log and over an hour, slowly smolders until smoke was present. I tested it again and actually lit it on fire once more by shooting over it in the same position. That dry punky wood catches spark very easily.

Lubes IMO are better at preventing smoldering patches. The water/alcohol patches dry out pretty quickly, especially if you load up and don't shoot within an hour or so.

Isn't that right on Hwy 49 where you turn off of 120 on the way to the western entrance of Yosemite from San Francisco Bay area? Used to go through there multiple times during the summer when I was teaching fly-fishing at the Arcularius Ranch. They used to have a great burger place in Chinese Camp, though it's been about 20-years since I've been through there. If you're not looking for it, you'll drive right past it. Lots of room for a Rendezvous.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Liquid lube is what I use at the range but I go into the deer woods with my rifle loaded with grease prb.

Latest posts

Back